Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
Linux 4.18's Latest Improvements For Power Management, CPUFreq
Highlights of the Linux 4.18 power management updates include:
- Improve the iowait boost mechanism within the CPUFreq Schedutil driver and improving the handling of deferred frequency updates within Schedutil.
- A CPUFreq driver for the Qualcomm Kryo.
- The TurboStat utility bundled within the kernel now has Cannonlake CPU support and other additions.
- Optimized policy transition notifications within CPUfreq.
- Power domain performance levels in the Generic Power Domains and Operating Performance Points (OPP) frameworks.
The power management pull request can be viewed here. Sadly not part of this 4.18 pull request is the recently covered P-State powersave improvements for faster I/O. Unless it gets bundled into a secondary pull request, that is likely off the table until Linux 4.19.
Wysocki also sent out the ACPI updates including various Intel/AMD updates, CPPC v3 support, and other power interface updates.