Show Your Support: Have you heard of Phoronix Premium? It's what complements advertisements on this site for our premium ad-free service. For less than $4 USD per month, you can help support our site while the funds generated allow us to keep doing Linux hardware reviews, performance benchmarking, maintain our community forums, and much more.
FWUPD 1.6.2 Released With Exciting Improvements For Hardware Firmware Updates On Linux
FWUPD 1.6.2 is an exciting update with:
- Initial support for interacting with the Powerd daemon.
- Support for CapsuleOnDisk, which allows for storing UEFI system capsules to be delivered to the pre-OS environment on-disk.
- Support for installing UEFI updates from the GRUB bootloader.
- The notion of "soft" requirements that can be ignored if the user passes the "--force" argument.
- A new plug-in that allows checking firmware settings.
- Discovery support of Redfish BMCs.
- Among the newly-supported hardware are ModemManager devices supporting Firehose or MBIM QDU, PixArt receiver and wireless hardware, Realtek MST with RTD2142, the IT5570 Super I/O, and the Dell Dock USB4.
Overall quite a lot of work continuing to happen around FWUPD for firmware updating on Linux (and BSDs and Windows). It's also great seeing the scope continuing to expand beyond just desktop hardware support to more server platform happenings as well.
Downloads and the full list of FWUPD 1.6.2 changes via GitHub.