Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
GIMP 2.99.6 Released But Still No Idea When GIMP 3.0 Will Be Ready
GIMP 2.99.6 is another step in the long and winding journey towards the much anticipated and arguably long overdue GIMP 3.0. Besides porting to the GTK3 toolkit, GIMP 2.99.x continues working on new/improved features too. With this week's GIMP 2.99.6 some of the latest feature work includes:
- Off-canvas guides are now supported.
- Template selector within the Canvas Size dialog.
- Pinch gesture on canvas for zooming.
- An improved Paint Select tool is now experimentally available.
- Better handling of gAMA and cHRM chunks of PNG.
- Continued work on GIMP's API albeit not yet stabilized ahead of 3.0 and other plug-in related work.
When it comes to GIMP 3.0's use of the GTK3 toolkit, the port of GtkAction remains the big missing piece as well as "serious Wayland issues" still being addressed.
The GIMP developers still are unsure of when GIMP 3.0 will be ready for its stable release and are not yet committing to any timetable for this long-awaited update.
More details on this latest GIMP 3.0 development release and downloads via GIMP.org.