Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
FreeBSD Ended 2015 With A Lot Of Open-Source Progress
Highlights for FreeBSD in Q4'2015 included:
- Support for FreeBSD ARM on the Banana Pi, Cubie Board, and Cubie Board 2.
- Evaluating whether to accept GPLv3 licensed code into their source repository.
- The CAM I/O scheduler continues to advance, hopefully in time for FreeBSD 11.
- The FreeBSD graphics stack was updated to Mesa 11.0.8 and X.Org Server 1.17.4. An updated i915 KMS driver is also expected to soon land.
- UEFI bugs were fixed.
- Sendfile improvements, as previously covered on Phoronix.
- ARMv6 hard-float is now the default ABI for that architecture.
- FreeBSD on ARM64/AArch64 continues making progress.
- FreeBSD has begun work on supporting the RISC-V architecture.
- LLVM's LLDB debugger is now enabled by default on x86_64/AMD64 and ARM64 architectures.
- KDE, Xfce, and LXQt desktop packaging improvements.
- Other Ports updates.
More details can be found via the quarterly report in full posted to FreeBSD.org.