Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
GNU Binutils 2.37 Is On The Way - Finally Drops ARM Symbian OS Support
As of Saturday the Binutils 2.37 code has been branched ahead of this next half-year update to these binary utilities common to GNU/Linux systems and more.
Binutils 2.37 isn't the most exciting update in recent times but some of the changes coming with this release include:
- The nm program can run with "--format=just-symbols" if just wanting to print symbol names and nothing else.
- objcopy and strip now have a "--keep-section-symbols" option if not wanting to strip out the unused section symbols such as for other programs needing that information.
- readelf and objdump will now follow links to separate debug info files by default.
- Readelf and objdump now support displaying and using the contents of .debug_sup sections.
- The GNU Assembler now supports the Realm Management Extension (RME) on AArch64.
- Binutils now requires a C99 compiler and library for building.
- ARM Symbian OS (Arm-symbianelf) support has been removed.
GNU Binutils 2.37.0 should be officially out in the coming weeks.