The New Features Of The Linux 3.17 Kernel
Highlights of Linux 3.17 include:
- Many Radeon GPU improvements -- including working Radeon R9 290 series support.
- Numerous graphics improvements for Intel's driver.
- Continued Nouveau driver improvements for this open-source NVIDIA driver.
- A new DRM driver.
- DMA-BUF cross-device synchronization support.
- Many old/unmaintained drivers were removed.
- Intel Braswell audio driver.
- Improved Sony SIXAXIS device support.
- Better Wacom tablet support.
- ACPI 5.1 / ACPI on ARM work.
- Lots of new ARM hardware enablement.
- Support for detecting free-falls of Toshiba laptops.
- Intel Idle Broadwell support.
- Support for using EFI to boot Xen Dom0.
- KVM improvements for x86.
- Enhancements to F2FS.
- A sysfs interface for XFS.
- Linux APIC code is working towards a big overhaul.
- Update: Linux 3.17 also lands Memfd, a prereq for KDBUS.
Stay tuned for our benchmarking of the Linux 3.17 kernel and other kernel tests that will be coming on Phoronix in the days and weeks ahead.