Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
KDE Lands More Crash Fixes, Activities Feature Working On Wayland
Crash fixes and more Wayland improvements remain the common theme for KDE this year. Over the past week some of the work items that landed included:
- The KDE Activities feature now "mostly works" on Wayland. There still are more improvements to go but should be buttoned up for KDE Plasma 5.22.
- The font size can now be changed for Sticky Note widgets.
- Ark now supports extracting Zip files that have Windows-style backslashes used as path separators.
- More Plasma crash fixes, including so that the Plasma Wayland session will not crash when plugging in an external screen while running a non-GUI session like a virtual terminal. There is another crash fix addressed that would happen for KWin with certain low-power embedded GPUs.
- Ultra-wide screens are now identified as 21:9 within the system settings rather than 63:27.
More details on the KDE changes of the past week can be found via this blog post by KDE developer Nate Graham.