Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
Jitter RNG Improvements, Arm CryptoCell CCTRNG Driver, AMD PSP SEV-ES For Linux 5.8
The crypto updates for this summer 2020 kernel update include:
- The Jitter RNG has beem updated for SP800-90B compliance. This comes after a half-year of testing the SP800-90B support in user-space. SP800-90B is the NIST specification over entropy sources for random bit generation.
- The DRBG (Deterministic Random Bit Generator) is also now always using the jitter RNG as a seed.
- The Crypto API now has support for parallel and batch requests within crypto_engine. This supports hardware capable of batch requests while retaining backwards compatibility.
- A new "CCTRNG" driver providing support for the Arm CryptoCell hardware security engine. The Arm CryptoCell true random number generator (TRNG) is now exposed with this driver.
- AMD Secure Encrypted Virtualization Encrypted State (SEV-ES) is now supported with the PSP driver in the AMD CCP (Cryptographic Co-Processor).
The full list of crypto changes for Linux 5.8 via the pull that has since landed in the mainline Git tree.