Show Your Support: Did you know that you can get Phoronix Premium for under $4 per month? Try it today to view our site ad-free, multi-page articles on a single page, and more while the proceeds allow us to write more Linux hardware reviews. At the very least, please disable your ad-blocker.
Some Of The Best Additions In Linux 4.16
What interests us the most about Linux 4.16 includes:
- The VirtualBox Guest driver was merged, albeit other VirtualBox kernel drivers are still working their way to the mainline kernel too. At least we're finally getting there to allow a better out-of-the-box experience of Linux on Oracle VirtualBox VM by having the necessary guest drivers mainline.
- More ARM boards are supported by the mainline kernel including the Orange Pi R1, Hummingboard2, and even a D-Link DNS_313 NAS enclosure. There's also now NVIDIA Jetson TX2 display support and Tegra TX2 improvements for mainline.
- Continued Linux file-system/storage improvements including lots of changes to XFS, potential performance increases in a few areas of the Linux kernel code, more Btrfs RAID 5/6 fixes, NVMe updates, etc.
- AMDGPU DC now supports multi-display synchronization to allow for a better multi-monitor experience when using this new display code stack that is being enabled by default for all supported GPUs come Linux 4.17.
- Various security improvements and ongoing Spectre and Meltdown mitigation work for all supported architectures.
For a more extensive look at the many changes to Linux 4.16, see our complete Linux 4.16 feature overview.