Systemd 249-rc1 Released With Many New Features
Systemd 249 is going to be another big summertime update to this Linux init system. There are a ton of changes to find with systemd 249 and when going through the lengthy list this evening, some of the items that jumped out include:
- Systemd-sysusers and systemd-firstboot now supports querying information from the credential subsystems.
- The systemd-repart partition configurations have a new "MakeDirectories=" option to create arbitrary directories inside file-systems as they are created.
- The /etc/os-release file has new optional variables of IMAGE_VERSION= and IMAGE_ID= around operating system image information.
- Changes to the --image= switch handling for the likes of systemd-nspawn and systemd-dissect to allow for "simple and generic whole-file-system A/B updates" where new operating system versions are dropped into partitions.
- A new udev hardware database for FireWire devices.
- The native Journal protocol is now properly documented.
- Various DHCP server improvements.
- systemd-detect-virt can now correctly identify Amazon EC2 environments.
The complete list can be found in the NEWS file. Systemd 249-rc1 can be downloaded via GitHub.