Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
NetworkManager 1.36 Released With 5G NR Modem Support, Other Improvements
With NetworkManager 1.36 there are many improvements including the likes of:
- Support for 5G New Radio (NR) modems.
- WiFi peer-to-peer (P2P) support has already worked with the WPA_Supplicant back-end while now WiFi P2P with NetworkManager now works with the Intel-led IWD code too.
- Reworked handling of layer 3 configuration handling to be more robust while also enhancing performance and lowering memory use.
- Handling of IP addressing and routing information is now done so more efficiently with lower memory use.
- Experimental support for starting NetworkManager without root privileges.
- WPA3 WiFi network security now allows enabling the new Hash To Element (H2E) method.
- Support for selecting the default WiFi back-end at build time whether it be IWD or WPA_Supplicant.
NetworkManager 1.36 sources are available for download from the FreeDesktop.org GitLab.