Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
GNOME 40 Beta Released With Many Improvements
GNOME 40 beta brings many changes including:
- GNOME Shell has landed the redesign of the overview area, out-of-date extensions are now disabled by default, and other improvements.
- Big updates to Mutter including starting XWayland on-demand, atomic mode-setting support, defaulting to the horizontal workspace layout, and more.
- Experimental support for more WebExtensions APIs, among other improvements to this GNOME web browser.
- Various converting improvements in GNOME Calculator (frequencies, weeks, centuries, decades, etc).
- GTK 4.1 is in with its various fixes and improvements.
- GVFS Google integration has improved performance for folders with large number of files, Shared drives folder added, and other additions.
- The Nautilus file manager has improved tab completion in the location entry, preferences dialog improvements, and more.
More details on the GNOME 40 Beta via the mailing list.