Unity 8, Mir, Snappy & Other Focuses For Next Week's Ubuntu UOS-1605
The UOS-1605 schedule is beginning to fill up for this event running from Tuesday (3 May) to Thursday (5 May). To not much surprise, the big topics are about Snappy for package manager, Mir, and the next-generation Unity 8 desktop with the overall convergence focus. Here are some of the highlights for the events on the schedule right now.
- Designing convergent Ubuntu apps with Qt.
- Finishing the migration to Python 3 to eliminate the rest of the Python 2 dependencies from the default media.
- Dropping the rarely-used Ubuntu Discourse project.
- Supporting legacy applications with Mir and Snappy.
- The usual Q&A with Mark Shuttleworth.
- Figuring out the future of Ubuntu GNOME.
- KDE's Kirigami UI will be talked about as part of the Qt-based convergence work.
- The status of Unity 8 on the desktop.
- Planning for the traditional Ubuntu desktop on Ubuntu 16.10 and beyond.
- Various other convergence-related sessions.
Those wishing to learn more about next week's free event can visit summit.ubuntu.com. Stay tuned next week for our coverage on Phoronix of the interesting sessions.