PCSX2 Emulator Disables Wayland Support By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    This is going to give a lot of developers heartburn because so many of them do not want to port their applications over to Wayland in order for their application to function correctly on the Wayland framework.

But surely, there will be one or several of commenters after this who will blame Wayland, not the developers who have not yet completed their job of doing the porting work.

At the end of the day, it's simply "tech debt". The world has moved on from X11.
    No, the children and people who never grew up have moved on from X. There are plenty of things to not like about X but that it is still beta-level code after over a decade is not one of them. When the basic things everyone expects to work in a windowing system all work properly in Wayland, then we can talk about switching.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard View Post

No, the children and people who never grew up have moved on from X.
      They did

But to Surface Flinger rather than wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        its definitely the 3rd parties fault wayland sux.
        Especially nvidia.

How much was Redhat paying them to do that job? maybe IBM should ask for their money back.
        I wouldn't go that far. Wayland was developed slowly, it wasn't specifically excluded from distros (I guess blacklisted to some extent) and still to this day there are a handful of features that yet do not work but are available for X11. Wayland was pretty much rolled out in a similar fashion to how KDE4 was rolled out. It's quite possibly the most disastrous way. KDE4 was great if you didn't use it at all until like the fourth major revision.

I do agree that the biggest contributor to Wayland malaise is Nvidia.

Wayland would've been default across all distros years ago if not for that closed driver. It basically took those poor maintainers to put bat signals out into the sky to get Nvidia to move. "We are done maintaining this. X.Org is abandonware" And even then it took like two years or something terribly ridiculous before Nvidia moved to give us that new half-way open source driver but it does support Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard View Post
          No, the children and people who never grew up have moved on from X. There are plenty of things to not like about X but that it is still beta-level code after over a decade is not one of them. When the basic things everyone expects to work in a windowing system all work properly in Wayland, then we can talk about switching.
          Wayland is not beta-level code and hasn't been for a long time. People with AMD and Intel APUs have been using it just fine for many years.

Besides, I wasn't talking about switching. You don't have to switch. Stay right where you are.

What I was talking about was tech debt. The switch from X11 to Wayland is absolutely tech debt.

The starting point is that all of the X11/X.org maintainers abandoned ship.

Comment

Working absolutely fine on arch Wayland Radeon.

Comment

Rule 1 when dealing with Wayland: Ignore Gnome. Seriously. mpv has been doing it for years. Just inform the user:

No window decoration? Gnome doesn't support the xdg-decoration protocol. Screen goes blank while watching a video? Gnome doesn't support the idle-inhibit protocol. They actually do nowadays I think, but for years they didn't. The correct cursor doesn't show when hovering mpv? It's cos Gnome has its own special way to handle cursors that isn't compatible with anything else.

Rule 2 when dealing with Wayland: See if wlr protocols can help you. The wlr-layer-shell protocol provides some form of window positioning, could cover what pcsx2 needs. But this only works with wlroots, you say? Nope, kwin and even mir support wlr protocols.

Now, the above won't fix everything in regards to dealing with Wayland, but it will make your job a lot easier already.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

And this is how you get Windows 95 era apps that still run in Windows Vista+

Sure, that 256 color interface look like CRAP on a modern machine but backwards compatibility über alles right?
                Thank god GTK5 probably will be Waylad only and Fedora is already moving towards a Wayland only future. Sooner or later nobody will care anymore about such abandonware. Either the devs catch up to reality or nobody will use their work, simple as that. Backwards compatibility back to the stone age is just a guarantee for horrible and hardly fixable security nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
                  I smell Ngreedia stench in this one. Bet you money exchanged hands, plus a couple of free 4090s and bingo, we have this beauty.
                  Phoronix's resident Lisa Su stalker is at it again I see

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

> On all sane platforms, that's baked into the platform-level "create a window" call so you or you toolkit doesn't have to either depend on GTK's CSD implementation or reinvent it.

ApplicationWindow is part of GTK which is what GNOME is built on. It's the platform.
                    Thanks for pointing this. It seems that the problem exist on lower level: There is a compositor used by GNOME that does not support CSD. When I was writing my app in low-level Wayland code (not GTK), I realized that I do not have decorations in GNOME, but I have it maybe everywhere else. Very annoying. Somebody adviced me to use libdecor. It seemed to work until I tried to change window visibility or opened the second window. Crash followed. My bug report is open couple of weeks on libdecor pages. I remember myself studying source code of others because of lack of documentation... So, I stick with the opinion that "not everything is ready on Wayland ecosystem".

I join others that Nvidia and Wayland is not smooth experience. It used to be disaster, but it might be better now (not tested latest drivers).
                    Last edited by PCJohn; 27 November 2023, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Oh my God... well, yes, I have been using Wayland on KDE for around 2 years without any issues. I have no idea why he is so toxic and vulgar

Comment

Working...
                      X