Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    They did

But to Surface Flinger rather than wayland.
    They did both, as I doubt any GNU/Linux Distribution supports Surface Flinger, not to mention BSD distributions. And as far as I can tell, there aren't that many applications left that don't work on Wayland without relying on XWayland. GIMP and WINE being two of the very last ones, with GIMP supporting it with GIMP 3 due for release next year and WINE also being hard at work to support it, but no idea if stable support within the next year is realistic. Other than that there's not much left. Thing is just that not every developer already defaults to Wayland over XWayland just yet, but usually you can change the default and don't run into any issues worth mentioning. There's a good reason the people over at Fedora saw the time being ready to ditch X alltogether, at least in their Gnome version.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Phoronix's resident Lisa Su stalker is at it again I see
      Admirer of her good work, proper foss and open standards support, but i dont expect a blind follower of Dear Leader Jensen to understand any of that.😁

Comment

The updated PR description states:
        I want nothing more than to see Wayland succeed, but at the moment, it is unusable for a majority of users.
        What a change of heart from:
        All this mess for something broken by design.
        Just a month ago.

I do get the sentiment, though:
        No thanks. I already maintain Linux support, despite not using it on the desktop myself, not adding another thing which can break.

Comment

Based

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post
            The updated PR description states:
            I want nothing more than to see Wayland succeed, but at the moment, it is unusable for a majority of users.
            Which is still far from the truth. Right now, as long as you don't run on an Nvidia GPU there isn't really a reason not to default to Wayland and there hasn't been for years. Only if the developer has been very lazy ignoring Wayland for a decade or if they really on a very old and out of support version of Electron, there's any reason not to be able to use Wayland. But the apps that are actually used a lot all work well on Wayland.

Comment

Hah, nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Rule 1 when dealing with Wayland: Ignore Gnome. Seriously. mpv has been doing it for years. Just inform the user:

No window decoration? Gnome doesn't support the xdg-decoration protocol. Screen goes blank while watching a video? Gnome doesn't support the idle-inhibit protocol. They actually do nowadays I think, but for years they didn't. The correct cursor doesn't show when hovering mpv? It's cos Gnome has its own special way to handle cursors that isn't compatible with anything else.
                Client side decoration are fine. You only need a standard way to paint them. The simply should have added libdecor much earlier. Anyway I really dislike the wasted space of server side decoration. Yes you could add an interface but that is really clunky.

Comment

From the PR:

You're being drawn in to drama where there is none.
                  Writes the one who caused this drama by dramatically overreacting in the first place. Apart from some Nvidia and/or GNOME related issues it works fine. Not that I am against this setting as a default. But one could have written it in a more mature ways and not like some ranting child.
                  Last edited by -MacNuke-; 27 November 2023, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Those who complain about lack of support for SSD's on Gnome Wayland, probably never heard about libdecor.

Btw, the Flathub version of Libreoffice runs natively on Wayland by default and its SSD's still look properly on Gnome.
                    Last edited by user1; 27 November 2023, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                      • "stupid obsession" with client side decorations in GNOME ⇒ Every other platform on earth that expects windows to have decorations just gives you decorations as part of the platform API and you don't have to care about how they're drawn. GNOME expects you to care about that.
                      • and other bugs ⇒ Again, too generic for me to say.
                      Arguably, GTK is the "platform API" for GNOME and gives applications decorations, like USER32.DLL does on Windows and Cocoa does on macOS. But, on the side point, these platforms have the benefit that every application has to link against the system toolkits in order to run, it isn't optional.

But, as someone else mentioned with libdecor, there should of been a way earlier to deal with decorations if you don't want to go through GTK, or at least make GTK reasonable to use as a window library, Win32 and Cocoa both have functions to facilitate using it for making windows, input and nothing else.
                      Last edited by Britoid; 27 November 2023, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X