PCSX2 Emulator Disables Wayland Support By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    This is a modern really old version of gnome right click vs a modern KDE right click?

I'm talking about the latest version of gnome released at the end of September.
    And I'm talking about the latest Firefox as installed from Flatpak and the latest Flatseal as installed from Flatpak, both depending on Flatpak-provided up-to-date GTK versions, running on top of Kubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS. Those two screenshots were taken from the exact same desktop minutes before I posted them.

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    Yeah they do, and VR, they just don't know it yet.
    Keep telling yourself that. That's what GNOME has been doing since 2011. I'm sure the great awakening and the year of the Linux desktop are both right around the corner.

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    Just watched a YT video with some 20 odd year olds discussing buying their first laptop, hilarious, getting the perfect set up takes time and money (and they dont sell them "off the shelf")
    OK, I'm curious about that one. Got a link?

Comment

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

And I'm talking about the latest Firefox as installed from Flatpak and the latest Flatseal as installed from Flatpak, both depending on Flatpak-provided up-to-date GTK versions, running on top of Kubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS. Those two screenshots were taken from the exact same desktop minutes before I posted them.
      What version of gnome is it installing?
      We are on gnome 45 now

Discover what's new in GNOME, the distraction-free computing platform.

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      year of the Linux desktop
      Probably around the time everyone in subsaharan Africa gets a Lamborghini for Christmas, I mean sure, its a nice idea, but no one is really willing to take the steps necessary to move linux from an OS by developers for developers to one Joe 6 pack can use to make his sports bets. Any more than they are willing to give buy random tribes in Africa Lamborghinis for Christmas

Although Google have arguably done it with their Debian fork known as Android already.
      Last edited by mSparks; 01 December 2023, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Anything that uses an array or index pointer can potentially have an overflow vulnerability
        You're not forced to implement your compositor in C. wayland-protocols bindings are generated automatically for several languages. For example there are compositors written in Rust.
        Its a lot more code than x-org.
        It uses all of the xorg code base
        and adds

+
        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston (or one of a hundred derivatives of, none of which have ever been used for production)

to it.
        Xwayland is entirely optional, and isn't part of Wayland, it is specifically an X server for Wayland compositors which typically runs rootless and transparently on demand for legacy applications. Wayland compositors can work fine without Xwayland, you wouldn't even notice the difference until you find pcsx2 doesn't work anymore!

for the sole purpose of allowing new applications (e.g. PCSX2) that do not depend on TCPIP, because non networked applications is the future I guess......
        Networked applications work fine, you know that. Presumably you're actually alluding to the historical X11 network transparency and XDMCP. Modern desktops and applications do not rely on X's intrinsic graphical and text rendering functionality, and like CSD, the window contents are drawn by the application themselves. This is not how X11 was intended to operate, the protocol expected server-side rendering, performance is not good when every window update is sent across the wire as a pre-rendered bitmap. This is why other remote display technologies have caught on like VNC and RDP. XDMCP is the protocol which allows an X terminal to connect to a remote X display manager, it's been disabled by default for many years (decades).

Comment

• Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
          You're not forced to implement your compositor in C.
          In fact you definitely shouldn't, anyone who knows anything about security definitely wouldn't write it in C.

They all did though, didnt they.

while preaching we shouldn't use X11 because "security".

And we are supposed to do something other than not point and laugh when not ignoring them?

Comment

In fact you definitely shouldn't, anyone who knows anything about security definitely wouldn't write it in C.

They all did though, didnt they.

while preaching we shouldn't use X11 because "security".

And we are supposed to do something other than not point and laugh when not ignoring them?
            Weston was written in C, because it was written by the former Xorg developers who were used to writing C, and should be written to high standards. The most commonly used major DE compositors mutter and kwin are also C, but they were established code bases being also previously X11 compositors/wm. wlroots is a C library. But there are also a number of compositors written in Rust including the upcoming Cosmic desktop.

Comment

• Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
              Networked applications work fine, you know that.

Really?
              No I didn't know.
              How?

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

Weston was written in C, because it was written by the former Xorg developers who were used to writing C, and should be written to high standards. The most commonly used major DE compositors mutter and kwin are also C, but they were established code bases being also previously X11 compositors/wm. wlroots is a C library. But there are also a number of compositors written in Rust including the upcoming Cosmic desktop.
              And why is that worth the effort when no one uses it, and it would be less effort to do it for the various x-org modules?

Comment

Really?
                No I didn't know.
                How?
                Network transparency with Wayland: https://mstoeckl.com/notes/gsoc/blog.html

Comment

• must just be a documentation problem then, I dont see any instructions there for windows, mac or X11 linux machines.
                  What do I need to do to get this to work on my macbook air? does it even build for apple silicon?
                  Last edited by mSparks; 02 December 2023, 07:05 AM.

Comment

What version of gnome is it installing?
                    We are on gnome 45 now
                    org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/45 according to flatpak info com.github.tchx84.Flatseal

Comment

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/45 according to flatpak info com.github.tchx84.Flatseal
                      weird. must be something the flatpak builders did vs FC39?

Comment

Working...
                      X