PCSX2 Emulator Disables Wayland Support By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DooMMasteR View Post
    What? the GPL enforcements where taken because NVIDIA used APIs in their closed code they should not use.
    The authors had long discussions about it but decided enforcement would be the best since then using drivers would become transparent and you could at least start debugging API interfacing issues in a proper way.
    So far, whatever shenanigans NVIDIA does on the APIs is mostly a black box, which is the opposite of the idea of using GPL code to interface your own code.

And now NVIDIA seems to, again, not do the right thing... so the issue persists...

Also most of the issues are completely unrelated to the DRM-API changes :-)
    There are things that should be exclusivly GPL. DMA-BUF related stuff (literal buffer to be passed around, even user mode) should never be one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

That's the problem. They don't obey user customizations, they can't be trusted to indicate any kind of security context information, and they don't respond to attempts to manage the window if the application gets wedged in a way that prevents the compositor from detecting it and taking over direct processing of input events.
      who do you think is the user here?
      The person using the application via a display server like x11 or wayland
      or the application developer defining CSDs?

Comment

• Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

GNOME is so "polished" that they had a massive security vulnerability just recently and if you look into the Fedora 39 Discourse, you see a flood of reports of GNOME 45 permanently crashing.

In a few months, it will be a good moment to kill GNOME off and to suggest people to switch. Gnomes Wayland implementation is years behind kwin or wlroots. Plasma 6 will be the first DE with full fractional scaling (both Compositor and Applications). And both Budgie and Cosmic look promising for the people who simply don't want KDE. Hyprland is also waiting to collect a specific subset of users.
        polished for me has nothing to do with security, but that it works relatively bug free most of the time. I had a crasher on gnome 45, but instead of complaining about it on discourse, I got a stack trace and found the bug in libst and the defect in that gnome extensions that triggered (fixes are on going).

I agree that cosmic has a lot of potential. we'll see how kde does with plasma 6. gnome is still the big daddy, I'd guess 60-80% of the desktops just based on it being the default for fedora and ubuntu.

Comment

• Originally posted by fitzie View Post

polished for me has nothing to do with security
          afaict this whole "security" thing is marketing BS anyway, with zero evidence to back any of the claims up and decades of X11 not getting pwned to demonstrate the claims as false.

If anything the general incompetence shown in wayland development so far suggests it is waaaaay more likely to have some nasty buffer overflows and privilege escalations hiding in the fragmented spaghetti code that makes up a wayland install than a battle hardened xorg-server - an xorg-server wayland is falling back on for any kind of gpu acceleration anyway.
          Last edited by mSparks; 28 November 2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

GNOME is so "polished" that they had a massive security vulnerability just recently and if you look into the Fedora 39 Discourse, you see a flood of reports of GNOME 45 permanently crashing.
            That's a Fedora problem you need to expect using something that much on the bleeding edge. Meanwhile on Debian Testing, large parts have already been updated to 45. Not a single crash here. But that's what happens when you half-ass updates.

In a few months, it will be a good moment to kill GNOME off and to suggest people to switch. Gnomes Wayland implementation is years behind kwin or wlroots. Plasma 6 will be the first DE with full fractional scaling (both Compositor and Applications). And both Budgie and Cosmic look promising for the people who simply don't want KDE. Hyprland is also waiting to collect a specific subset of users.
            How much do you want to show you're just a blind moron? Nobody cares about what you think. Users care for things to work. And GNOME simply just works. There might be one or the other black sheep too incompetent to write proper software, but nobody's going to use their software anyways as it's broken beyond repair. The software written by competent devs on the other hand works as intended.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedEyed View Post
              After decades to be a Linux user, I came to conclusion, that Linux Desktop is broken by design, everyone blaming everything and no one taking responsibility to make their code compatible.

Unix philosophy is to make programs to do one thing well, but when we use Linux Desktop, we are wrongly expecting that all things are done well.
              Just ignore those childish wannabes. The Linux desktop works very well and the way the user wants. It won't force a bunch of shiny but useless Artificial "Intelligence" bs down your throat to compensate for everything being coded by a bunch of interns. Things simply work, and even in a pragmatic way.

Comment

• Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

SSD can't be trusted too because you can always disable them. Client side decorations are a proofen concept and the only problem now is that some frameworks like Qt do not support them well.
                I think the question is "Who is doing the trusting?" I feel I can trust SSDs so long as my compositor has a "F**k your CSDs. I'm drawing SSDs whether you like it or not" switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post

who do you think is the user here?
                  The person using the application via a display server like x11 or wayland
                  or the application developer defining CSDs?
                  The person using the application. That's what "user" means. I'd have said "downstream developer" otherwise.

It's my damn computer, it will do as I say.

Comment

• Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

KDE has a really bad idea record. I looked into this and it is simply complicated. The decoration space shouldn't be spend on a few design elements like modern UIs shows.
                    Which is probably why it wasn't implemented. It was always a "*sigh* If you insist on widgets in the titlebar, let's at least do it in a way which preserves user choice" proposal and the impression I get is that, as time went on, it became clear that it was a stubborn GNOME-ism and that KDE had no use for DWDs and GNOME wouldn't implement them even if KDE offered support.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

If you want to use a proper Linux that is successful and coherent, buy a Chromebook and use ChromeOS.
                      That's like saying "If you want to use a proper Linux that is successful and has good game support, buy Windows". DOM+JS != POSIX and DOM+JS is ChromeOS's intended primary API surface, so ChromeOS != Linux in the minds of people who talk about "Linux Desktop". It's the same thing as DalvikVM != POSIX with Android and with "The existence of WSL1 does not make Windows into Linux any more than the existence of Wine makes Linux into Windows".

Comment

Working...
                      X