PCSX2 Emulator Disables Wayland Support By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    I feel that, I've seen quite a few people just give up, realistically xwayland is good enough on kde anyways, gnome users can suffer like always, and compositors wlroots... well they dont make up enough people to realistically care.

I myself have taken that route, if the application works on wayland great, but im not going to put any effort into making sure this is the case, it's just not worth it
    And this is how you get Windows 95 era apps that still run in Windows Vista+

Sure, that 256 color interface look like CRAP on a modern machine but backwards compatibility über alles right?

Comment

At the end of October this change disabled Wayland support by default. The Wayland support was described as "super broken/buggy in basically every scenario. KDE isn't too buggy, GNOME is a complete disaster,"​
      Sometimes someone will tell the truth. Wayland, so praised by all Linux fans, is giving developers headaches.

That's why people prefer Windows and MacOS. And not by a global conspiracy of corporations - as you can often hear Linux forums.

In basic scenarios where you use software from a repository Linux is ok. But just reach for software from outside the repository (e.g. Davinci Resolve or MATHLAB) and you may get a headache, as after a system update the program suddenly stops working.

On other systems take things do not happen - that is, they also have, but they are 100 times less frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

And this is how you get Windows 95 era apps that still run in Windows Vista+

Sure, that 256 color interface look like CRAP on a modern machine but backwards compatibility über alles right?
        I actually recently just spun up autocad 2000 on windows 11

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Sometimes someone will tell the truth. Wayland, so praised by all Linux fans, is giving developers headaches.

That's why people prefer Windows and MacOS. And not by a global conspiracy of corporations - as you can often hear Linux forums.

In basic scenarios where you use software from a repository Linux is ok. But just reach for software from outside the repository (e.g. Davinci Resolve or MATHLAB) and you may get a headache, as after a system update the program suddenly stops working.

On other systems take things do not happen - that is, they also have, but they are 100 times less frequent.
          it's not just wayland it's everything about windows, I had people complain to me because they had 13 instances of firefox in their audio control panel. which I guess if you need 13 tabs all playing audio, yeah fair criticism.

Comment

I agree with the "stupid obsession" with client side decorations in GNOME, the inability to position windows, but other than that, it doesn't make too much sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I agree with the "stupid obsession" with client side decorations in GNOME, the inability to position windows, but other than that, it doesn't make too much sense to me.
              Wayland breaks all sorts of things all across the board that users don't always realize, for instance I still have yet to see a good implementation of a window embedding solution. Wayland wants you to build your app around a wayland compositor, in my experience, that is exactly as jank as it sounds. I keep seeing people defending this, but I have yet to see a single implementation where it actually works well

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It doesn't expect you to care about that. Create an ApplicationWindow and voila, it's there complete with decorations and all the bells and whistles. This complaint sounds more like the "stupid obsession" with not using the expected APIs rather than some actual problem with those APIs.
                Assuming you're using a widget toolkit or application framework that actually has an ApplicationWindow class.

I reiterate. On all sane platforms, that's baked into the platform-level "create a window" call so you or you toolkit doesn't have to either depend on GTK's CSD implementation or reinvent it.

X11? WM-provided SSDs. Win32? Platform-provided CSDs. macOS? Not sure, given how much they lock it down, but it's platform-provided either way. etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Assuming you're using a widget toolkit or…
                  People should stop assuming things about everyone or everything else, that way they will be exponentially less likely to be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Assuming you're using a widget toolkit or application framework that actually has an ApplicationWindow class.

I reiterate. On all sane platforms, that's baked into the platform-level "create a window" call so you or you toolkit doesn't have to either depend on GTK's CSD implementation or reinvent it.

X11? WM-provided SSDs. Win32? Platform-provided CSDs. macOS? Not sure, given how much they lock it down, but it's platform-provided either way. etc. etc. etc.
                    ApplicationWindow is part of GTK which is what GNOME is built on. It's the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Uh, if people know what their options were and they actively decided what to use that might be true. Usually they use what's pre-installed.
                      Most people use Android without even knowing that there is a Linux system under the hood. And android's rendering is more similar to Wayland than to e.g. X11. Same for Chromebooks. Actually they are moving to Wayland afair.

Comment

Working...
                      X