No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Adopts A Code of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1) People need to stop projecting shit onto Linus Torvalds or anyone else, everyone is fallible, look in the mirror.
    2) If you disagree with a CoC, your choices are clear, leave and spend your time being productive elsewhere, whining without evidence isn't a very good choice.
    3) You don't need to look further than gamergate, and other such malfeasance online to see that online abuse is very real. There are mods on subreddits and any small/mid size site like phoronix, who keep things in check, but when it comes to open source communities (any async communication) it's always better to have set rules everyone can follow. Everyone's comfort level around others varies highly, and saying just be "excellent" might not cut it, hence the need for a few precise ground rules. This is also why It's better to have such rules than to have none, you can always change the rules to fit community needs and set enforcement guidelines.
    4) I'm pretty sure gender identity in an opensource project realistically only applies to using the correct pronouns for a person and treating them as such, and little else. If you have a problem with this, see 2) and seek additional help.
    5) This CoC is a low bar tbh, it's just spelling out the obvious, so seeing any hysterical responses to it, just makes me think it's need all the more.

Comment

• Originally posted by royce View Post
      Sadly this thread is a prime example of why codes of conduct are necessary in software development circles. A majority of white heterosexual socially and sexually challenged men.
      This wouldn't pass the CoC.

harassment-free experience - for everyone, regardless of ... disability ... sex characteristics ... , gender identity and expression ... personal appearance, race ... sexual identity and orientation.
      unacceptable behavior - The use of sexualized language ... insulting/derogatory comments ... Public or private harassment ... Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting

Just saying...

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
        "The Post-Meritocracy Manifesto

Meritocracy is a founding principle of the open source movement, and the ideal of meritocracy is perpetuated throughout our field in the way people are recruited, hired, retained, promoted, and valued.

But meritocracy has consistently shown itself to mainly benefit those with privilege, to the exclusion of underrepresented people in technology."

signet by: "Patricia Torvalds"

now we know why Linus Torvalds does this code of conduct shit

Because his daughter is a Communist Marxist feminist !!!!!

Holy shit.... Linus Torvalds how can you betray us all like this?
        That manifesto evokes the definition of pure disgust.

The most disgusting parts:
        • We are devoted to practicing compassion and not contempt. We refuse to belittle other people because of their choices of tools, techniques, or languages.
        ^ Linux is literally RIP if it gets infested by retarded cunts with their shitty languages or tools other than mostly C.
        • We have an ethical responsibility to refuse to work on software that will negatively impact the well-being of other people.
        ^ Linux is bad. We have an ethical responsibility to refuse to work on it. It's bad for Microsoft and its employees since it's competition. They're just trying to feed their families you know? SJW mindset and rules in a nutshell.
        • We acknowledge the value of non-technical contributors as equal to the value of technical contributors.
        ^ Spoken like a true skilless garbage who wants to be held "equal" to people actually putting in the effort. Technical skills are effort, nobody is born with them. This does nothing but belittle those with technical skills and basically says "it's OK to be an uneducated retard, you'll still be equal in value" in terms of contributions.

Whole point of software is the result. Because that's what matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          That manifesto evokes the definition of pure disgust.

The most disgusting parts:
          • We are devoted to practicing compassion and not contempt. We refuse to belittle other people because of their choices of tools, techniques, or languages.
          ^ Linux is literally RIP if it gets infested by retarded cunts with their shitty languages or tools other than mostly C.
          If you tell me to make a CRUD website with an admin page in an hr. I'm using rails, at least that's my excuse.

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          • We have an ethical responsibility to refuse to work on software that will negatively impact the well-being of other people.
          ^ Linux is bad. We have an ethical responsibility to refuse to work on it. It's bad for Microsoft and its employees since it's competition. They're just trying to feed their families you know? SJW mindset and rules in a nutshell.
          If you don't take this literally, it makes sense to actually have some ethics around software development.

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          • We acknowledge the value of non-technical contributors as equal to the value of technical contributors.
          ^ Spoken like a true skilless garbage who wants to be held "equal" to people actually putting in the effort. Technical skills are effort, nobody is born with them. This does nothing but belittle those with technical skills and basically says "it's OK to be an uneducated retard, you'll still be equal in value" in terms of contributions.

Whole point of software is the result. Because that's what matters.
          Right, as in educating users on how to use your software, or making sure your software isn't causing more problems than it solves: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...rget-only-men/ non-technical contributions are just as valuable as technical contributions when there is a real need.

If you're a libertarian leaning pretentious HN-reading Uber employee, this manifesto just might change your life. Otherwise, it's best ignored.
          Last edited by audir8; 19 September 2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by audir8 View Post
            Right, as in educating users on how to use your software, or making sure your software isn't causing more problems than it solves: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...rget-only-men/ non-technical contributions are just as valuable as technical contributions when there is a real need.

If you're a libertarian leaning pretentious HN-reading Uber employee, this manifesto just might change your life. Otherwise, it's best ignored.
            so now employers dont have the right to spend their money however they want? ohh, that's right. they dont. we are doing very good ppl, moving on.

Comment

• Originally posted by euler271 View Post

so now employers dont have the right to spend their money however they want? ohh, that's right. they dont. we are doing very good ppl, moving on.
              The value of something is different from the compensation for that thing. There are a lot more people who can write documentation and a lot less who can write COBOL.

Comment

• Everyone go read this very well written response on the LKML - https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/17/1147

Then if you can stomach it go read this idiotic reply which mirrors the garbage on this forum to a tee - https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/18/527

He discounts most everything written in his reply.
                He thinks it's a good idea for no specific reason.
                Gives an example that has NOTHING to do with the linux kernel itself or the previous CoC.
                And the icing on the cake this bit "this is my first "contribution" to LKML", has never submitted anything to the kernel but needs to weigh in on discussions.

This is the future of the LKML and linux itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by bitnick View Post
                  But it also makes me intrigued. You say you don't "believe" in gender identity. I am a male and I also identify as a male (i.e. I "feel" like a male). I expect most males identify as males, and most women identify as women, but apparently there are those who identify with the opposite sex, or somewhere in between, or with no sex at all. Since you don't believe in gender identity I guess you belong to the latter? But even if you don't have an associated identity, it should not be that hard to imagine that other people consider themselves as male or female, i.e. that they have a gender identity? From that it should not be that big a leap to imagine that people could "feel like" a bit of both?

(Note that this doesn't imply anything about the reasons for people being transgender, homosexual or whatever.)
                  The whole concept of "gender identity" to me is insane.

For example, if you are a male but share more interest with women than with men, then that does not make you a woman. It simply makes you a man with different interests than the majority. If you then think that you need to become a woman to be socially acceptable it means you have low self confidence, which in itself is not unusual, but the appropriate response is not to say that you are a woman. The appropriate response is to stand up for yourself and come to peace with who you are. Change the boundaries of what is socially acceptable for your gender instead of abandoning ship. This is because having overlapping interests with your partner is a naturally desirable attribute. Changing your "gender identity" to match your interests just makes it harder for potential partners to find you and makes your self confidence founded on a lie. If you have deviating sexual interests then that's fine, it has nothing to do with the issue at hand and I don't give a toss.

I'm sure that by now you've heard of those who now "identify" themselves as Apache attack helicopters. While hard to take seriously, their "gender identity" must be treated as just as valid as those who "identify" as their opposite gender (or some other made up "gender") under the new code of conduct. The rest of us are now expected to play along in this mess.

(Yes, there is an extremely small minority who does not have two chromosomes (and an even smaller minority of those who will genuinely have to pick a gender through plastic surgery, because they lack all of the distinguishing body features (of either gender)), but that's not something we should base our social standards on.)

All that aside, having a concept with such low support etched into a foundation document is absurd. Including the clause "Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting" as an example of unacceptable behavior is also wildly open to interpretation. Remember the days when we could say "[profanity] you, NVIDIA" over them actively working against you? Gone. "As it is, the patches are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE."? Also gone. "Only Sun can take such nice parts and [profanity] up the programming interface like this."? Definitely gone.

Like it or not, the lack of a set professional standard in communications is what allowed Linux to become the wild west with quality assurance that it is today.

Comment

• I've been wondering what to think and say about all of this, and I've just watched a good video summing up what's happened rather well, putting everything into good perspective.

I think the words that close out the video I watched (I'm curious if anyone will recognise them) will say it best:

"If it gets worse, it just means its gonna get better later. That's my position.
                    Realistic advice: be independent...I wish the best for Linux...I hope LInus...rights all the wrongs.
                    But if it doesn't happen, its not a big deal...there are other software projects...its gonna be ok. Its gonna be ok guys."

That might be hard to hear properly, for people like me who wonder if the worst will really happen. But I think its good advice too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
                      ...Remember the days when we could say "[profanity] you, NVIDIA" over them actively working against you? Gone...
                      That reminded me. I've seen that video. And those words from Torvalds were in response to a question asked by a...WOMAN! YES!

And he treated her with nothing but understanding and respect too...
                      Here's the link to the video: https://youtu.be/IVpOyKCNZYw

Because, you know, he's just so hateful and intolerant <sarcasm alert>.

Comment

Working...
                      X