The Linux Kernel Adopts A Code of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff99 View Post

The point is that thought police can weasel their way into project TABs and perform coups by declaring what somebody says in any random tweet outside the scope of a project to be within the domain of their control and that the content was offensive or "harmful" to some real or imagined third party. If you do not see how the CC language allows this, please read it again until you do.
    Ofc this never happens. totally ridiculous. /s

Comment

• Sureeeeee, it never happens. No Sir, never.

Comment

• Originally posted by msotirov View Post
        That's so far fetched, it borders on ridiculous. What, I'm going to join a FOSS project, somehow become the main maintainer and then I'm suddenly going to start kicking people out for random reasons because what? I hate your freedom and that you're white and have a dick? You sir, are the very definition of paranoia and you should seek professional help for your condition.
        No, he's not. And this is the sad part. See Node.js and Rod Vagg as an example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff99 View Post

That is a nice safety valve, but things like trademark (along with brand establishment/recognition) and established corporate/foundation/whatever organizational ties are not quite as fungible.
          Yes, in some countries Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds, but corporations do not sell only the kernel, they sell a whole product, which may contain (or not) linux word when they advertised or sell their product. Some chinese corporations don't even bother to make publicly available the GPL kernel source code for Android smartphones they sold. Copyleft(or copyright) is a less important factor for them.

For a small project, with a small audience trademarks are not so important, at least at the beginning. For a broader audience solutions already has been found like in Firefox, Thunderbird:--->>Iceweasel, Icecat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hasenpfote View Post
            No, he's not. And this is the sad part. See Node.js and Rod Vagg as an example.
            I'm not familiar with that case but judging from a quick Google search of what's not already deleted from Github and Twitter, this guys sounds like a major pain the ass, who was causing multiple other members of the community to leave with his actions.

Comment

• All these whiny adults bitching about their world of abuse being silenced, as if some freedom of speech is to insult and denigrate their fellow human beings is some inalienable right. Grow the eff up already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                All these whiny adults bitching about their world of abuse being silenced, as if some freedom of speech is to insult and denigrate their fellow human beings is some inalienable right. Grow the eff up already.
                I can't actually tell if your comment is subtle sarcasm, bait, or genuinely un-self-aware. Upvoated regardless!

Comment

• I still stand by my first comment in this thread (which was delayed until Michael approved it).

You guys should smoke more weed. Or maybe not, might make you more paranoid.

As if you kiddies running Arch care more about the preservation of the Linux kernel than Linus. It's quite laughable actually how many conclusions have been jumped here. As if Linus got caught up in the #MeToo movement. Incredible.

Enjoy the time off, Linus. See ya soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                    You sir, are the very definition of paranoia and you should seek professional help for your condition.
                    Did you just assume my gender? Are you using the neuroatypical as a means of denigrating others? I think you might need to be removed from our wonderful hug-box community for all this rampant bigotry, friend. It's clearly for the common good!
                    Last edited by Jeff99; 18 September 2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Sadly this thread is a prime example of why codes of conduct are necessary in software development circles. A majority of white heterosexual socially and sexually challenged men.

Comment

Working...
                      X