Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Continues Working On Better NVIDIA Support, PipeWire Could Replace PulseAudio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I haven't tried Fedora in a while (except in VM), but iirc all it took was go into CLI, kill gdm/sddm/whatever, run installer from Nvidia. Not the best experience, yet only a nightmare for those unfamiliar with the CLI, I would think.
    I haven't spoken Chinese in a while (except in some cases), but iirc all it took was to go to China and learn it. Not the best experience, yet only a nightmare for those unfamiliar with China, I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I haven't tried Fedora in a while (except in VM), but iirc all it took was go into CLI, kill gdm/sddm/whatever, run installer from Nvidia. Not the best experience, yet only a nightmare for those unfamiliar with the CLI, I would think.
      I would have thought that too. But I was attempting to follow several guides, none of which proved useful in installing the driver. And I'm no stranger to the CLI, just to the Fedora environment for installing the Nvidia blob. It was likely a simple issue I was overlooking/unfamiliar with and saying it was a nightmare was a over dramatic as I really only spend an hour or so before giving up.

Originally posted by saschaschmidt View Post

If you had "quickly" updated and rebooted before installing binary blobs that need kernel headers ...
      That might have been the "simple" step I was missing.

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

This should be a thing of the past now, if you go to negativo17 and install the NVidia repo there you should be able to go into GNOME Software and install the NVidia driver without needing to do anything else.
      This is what I first tried. But it failed and I can't remember why. I might have just had bad luck. I didn't give it a whole lot effort either.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
        If Nvidia won't implement PRIME fully (i mean PRIME offloading of course) Optimus will be always pain on Linux. Bumblebee isn't solution - it is only workaround, not solution (for example - no Vulkan support). Nvidia offical "solution" isn't good too - using only Nvidia GPU in hybrid system hasn't got any sense (it will reduce battery use time and increase temperatures).

If Nvidia won't fix it this is my last hybrid system with their GPU. AMDGPU looks pretty good now.
        We are talking with NVidia about this, our hope is that once we remove the obstacles to make hybrid graphics work without things like Bumblebee they have more of a reason and motivation to work with us on finding a way to allow proper hybrid mode between the Intel and NVidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post

This is what I first tried. But it failed and I can't remember why. I might have just had bad luck. I didn't give it a whole lot effort either.
          Please try again with Fedora Workstation 26 when it comes out, our goal is to even not require you to go and enable the repo, the nvidia driver should just appear in GNOME Software.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
            If Nvidia won't implement PRIME fully (i mean PRIME offloading of course) Optimus will be always pain on Linux. Bumblebee isn't solution - it is only workaround, not solution (for example - no Vulkan support). Nvidia offical "solution" isn't good too - using only Nvidia GPU in hybrid system hasn't got any sense (it will reduce battery use time and increase temperatures).

If Nvidia won't fix it this is my last hybrid system with their GPU. AMDGPU looks pretty good now.
            Dude the situation has been like this for around 6 years. Don't expect to see any change.

Comment

my kneejerk reaction to PipeWire is XKCD's standards - https://xkcd.com/927/

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

That would be unfortunate, since there are good reasons. Lots of hardware has hardware decoding support, and I figure it should be more or less the same thing to play an encoded stream or a raw one.
                Are you serious with this? I'd really like to hear examples, this caught me completely by surprise

Comment

so - it used to be called pinos - been in development for a couple of years. the initial blurb seems sane - it will be interesting to see how it all works

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Are you serious with this? I'd really like to hear examples, this caught me completely by surprise
                    https://github.com/wtay/pipewire <-- read the blurb - it makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post

Several months ago when Fedora upgraded the Linux kernel (I think it was 4.10), the NVIDIA driver did not have support for it right away. I was forced to boot the older kernel until NVIDIA added support for 4.10.

Maybe you had the bad luck to try Fedora in this window.

PS. because of such issues with NVIDIA, I bought an AMD card that works without proprietary drivers and am not going to buy NVIDIA in the foreseeable future.
                      That is exactly when I tried. I had a new AMD Ryzen system and tried Fedora since it had the new 4,10 kernel, which contained a lot of enhancements for Ryzen. 2 years ago, I upgraded to the Nvidia 770, because all the games Feral and other were porting, were only working with Nvidia cards. In the recent years, things appear to have majorly shifted/improved and my next card will be AMD again.

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

Please try again with Fedora Workstation 26 when it comes out, our goal is to even not require you to go and enable the repo, the nvidia driver should just appear in GNOME Software.
                      Good to know. As trifud pointed out, I just had bad timing and Nvidia hadn't updated their drivers to the new kernel yet. Next install, I might give Fedora another look.

Comment

Working...
                      X