GNOME Improving Integration With systemd-homed, Mockups For An OS Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
    its design and usability philosophy, and its entire context being an optional desktop environment
    That marketing brabble applies to Windows 8 as well.
    Or do you think Microsoft was not trying do create an optimal desktop environment and didn't have the same usability philosophy (with touch devices in mind) and design (flat design)?
    Remember that Windows 8 introduced flat design on the Desktop. And the only noteworthy Desktop Environment that still has flat design is... GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It has -everything- to do with Gnome... Gnome 3's entire philosophy was derived from it....
      gvedit.png
      GNOME 3 reminds me of this actually

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

That marketing brabble applies to Windows 8 as well.
        Or do you think Microsoft was not trying do create an optimal desktop environment and didn't have the same usability philosophy (with touch devices in mind) and design (flat design)?
        Except the difference is that Microsoft tried to force fullscreen only, full blown mobile Metro apps upon desktop users, which isn't the case in Gnome. In Gnome you still get proper desktop apps.

Remember that Windows 8 introduced flat design on the Desktop. And the only noteworthy Desktop Environment that still has flat design is... GNOME.
        Um? Both KDE and COSMIC currently also have flat design (not a fan of flat design myself). I have no idea how you can't see that. I would even argue that KDE's flat design actually more resembles Windows 8 / 10 flat design (less / lack of rounded corners and lack of depth and gradients).
        Last edited by user1; 06 April 2024, 12:53 PM.

Comment

And the only noteworthy Desktop Environment that still has flat design is... GNOME.
          What even does flat design even mean? A few icons? GNOME has nothing to do with Windows 8 start menu. You are comparing a start menu or an entire operating system to an optional desktop environment. Which has nothing in common too. I am not doing marketing brabble. And no, it does not apply to Windows 8. Do you even know what you are talking about?

Edit: GNOME is much more than a few flat icons on the start menu of Windows...

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

What even does flat design even mean? A few icons? GNOME has nothing to do with Windows 8 start menu. You are comparing a start menu or an entire operating system to an optional desktop environment. Which has nothing in common too. I am not doing marketing brabble. And no, it does not apply to Windows 8. Do you even know what you are talking about?

Edit: GNOME is much more than a few flat icons on the start menu of Windows...
            You're talking about windows 8.1, but that was after MS reversed course... Look at windows 8.0....

MS reversed course in less than a year, meanwhile 13 years later Gnome still hasn't...
            Last edited by duby229; 06 April 2024, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Except the difference is that Microsoft tried to force fullscreen only, full blown mobile Metro apps upon desktop users, which isn't the case in Gnome. In Gnome you still get proper desktop apps.

Um? Both KDE and COSMIC currently also have flat design (not a fan of flat design myself). I have no idea how you can't see that. I would even argue that KDE's flat design actually more resembles Windows 8 / 10 flat design (less / lack of rounded corners and lack of depth and gradients).
              I wouldn't call whatever GNOME advertises as "proper desktop apps".
              Their music player Amberol is literally a rip-off from the mobile app AIMP, but with less features.
              And you aren't allowed to question their decisions. You shouldn't even try to use your own custom design or use them in any way that isn't their approved narrow fake-mobile environment, because: "Please don't theme our Apps".
              I don't want to have an app anyway, i want to have an application.

GNOME is stuck in the outdated Windows 8 mindset. It just is like that.

No, flat design isn't modern. Flat design is more than a decade old and it was a temporary trend that got largely abandoned. GNOME is a decade behind everyone else.

Edit:
              KDE is not flat design and COSMIC is a middle thing. Not everything that has no shadows and no 3d shapes is automatically flat design.
              Windows 8 is flat design. WIndows 10 not so much. GNOME is flat design.
              Last edited by hf_139; 06 April 2024, 01:45 PM.

Comment

GNOME? Nope, not here.

To me GNOME and KDE are like Hollywood movie stars ... glitzy but lacking in substance.

Yeah, lots of gee-whiz-aint-that-kewl "features" and "apps" but completely lacking in KISS principle understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                  GNOME? Nope, not here.

To me GNOME and KDE are like Hollywood movie stars ... glitzy but lacking in substance.

Yeah, lots of gee-whiz-aint-that-kewl "features" and "apps" but completely lacking in KISS principle understanding.
                  Saying that Gnome has glitzy features is kinda like an oxymoron... It has hardly any features at all, and the only way to get features you need is through plugins that -WILL- break every time an update is released....

Comment

Schrödinger's GNOME, both too complex and too simple... at least according to persons who would never ever use GNOME but still show up in every GNOME related thread to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Saying that Gnome has glitzy features is kinda like an oxymoron... It has hardly any features at all, and the only way to get features you need is through plugins that -WILL- break every time an update is released....
                      Exactly! One of the reasons I left GNOME. While I don't like Ubuntu itself anymore, I think they do a great job of stepping up GNOME to something usable for most.

Comment

Working...
                      X