GNOME Improving Integration With systemd-homed, Mockups For An OS Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
    Nobody uses Windows 8 anymore, so why would anyone use GNOME?
    Use a modern DE instead or wait for COSMIC​.
    it feels modern, simple and stylish.
    Never used Windows 8 though, and KDE gives reminds me Windows 98

Comment

Originally posted by uscracks94 View Post
      it's getting worse and worse by putting mobile-first approach in front of everything, and they're pushing flatpak so hard.
      How is that bad. If you dislike Flatpak then all Flatpak-related changes should be transparent for you. It's not like they're replacing components with Flatpak dependent stuff. The same could be said about mobile efforts, if you don't care about it then an app being adaptive to fit small screens shouldn't bother you or get in your way.

Not to mention, you're dismissing all the non-Flatpak, non-mobile, desktop related work such as hdr/vrr/fractional scaling .. I mean, all GNOME 46 changes have been desktop focused and had nothing to do with Flatpak or mobile efforts.
      Last edited by Vermilion; 06 April 2024, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I am running GNOME 46 and really like it. Not sure which distribution i any will use the new GNOME-based OS installer but I look forward to GNOME 48 and whatever it brings.

I would like to see the remaining GTK 3 apps (like dconf-editor) be ported to GTK 4 and Adwaita.
        I would also like to see GDM and gnome-session no longer depend on libx11 and libxcb because I want to be able to run a pure Wayland system without X.Org Server or even XWayland.

GNOME is a modern desktop environment.

I use Gnome for about 9 years, I used to like it, but it's getting worse and worse by putting mobile-first approach in front of everything, and they're pushing flatpak so hard. I am really looking into Cosmic DE nowadays, the only problem for me is that it's Wayland only, I don't know how it's going to affect gaming performance on Nvidia gpu, but I am sure that System76 will figure something out
        I've used it for longer than 9 years and I really like it. It has gotten better and better over the year with more polish.
        You don't have to use Flatpak if you don't want to but personally I really like both Flatpak and Snap since they provide sandboxing which increases security.

Comment

LOL…you really don’t have a life, do you ?

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

I don't understand the argumentation. Windows 8 has nothing to do with GNOME on Linux...
            GNOME made their big design decisions based on "professional UI designers" (who know it better than those pesky users), at the same time Microsoft made Windows 8 and under the same assumptions. The time when flat design got introduced and notebooks shipped with touchscreens and manufacturers expected tablets to replace everything. GNOME even dreamed of a 10% overall Desktop market share.

Windows 8 failed. Microsoft moved on.

GNOME doubled down and is still stuck with that mindset. GNOME is a remnant of a long gone time.

Comment

The time when flat design got introduced and notebooks shipped with touchscreens and manufacturers expected tablets to replace everything.
              GNOME is a remnant of a long gone time.
              I don't agree. GNOME is probably has a more modern approach than any of other the existing desktop environments. GNOME is very different from how Windows 8 worked (it was just the start menu that changed) and Windows 8 failed for number of reasons, not only because of its start menu design. And those reasons have nothing to do with how GNOME operates, what GNOME actually is under the hood, its design and usability philosophy, and its entire context being an optional desktop environment on Linux. People should not decide to use or not to use GNOME based on the success of Windows 8, that makes no sense at all.

I personally have my own doubts about GNOME and switched away from it, while I was also switching away from Ubuntu. But that does not mean its unusable. I could see myself in using GNOME, if there wasn't better alternatives. GNOME is fine. It's not for everyone, so is no desktop environment for everyone.

Comment

I swear their UI folks don't understand consistency.

First look here:

Close button in the top right corner in both mobile and desktop views. On the popup prompt the the selection buttons are on the bottom....except the menu popups where there's a switch or search where everything else has a Close X.

Then the OS installer follows the same setup with the Close X on top and Selections on the bottom. I'll only once mention how it has more white space than Norway:

That's not so bad aside from Continue being colored Red, the universal color of Don't Continue.

And then you to the shortcut mock up:

Where the Popup/Prompt dialog's Add/Done/Confirm button goes from a fixed place on the bottom to being dynamic with the close button. Where every the other dialogs has a search or tab icon, it has a Cancel/Close button.

Swapping the Close and Accept buttons on different dialogs and using a dynamic Close/Accept button is not user friendly. It's hard to develop muscle memory and repetitive memory, to act intuitively, when you have to constantly stop to ensure your dynamic button is the correct dynamic for the task you're trying to achieve. Is it Close, Accept, Search, Toggle Switch, Menu? It's just not consistent.

I tried to hold my tongue, but the rounded corners in the mobile file system screenshot reminds me of Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Y'all should really consider not having rounded corners where the mobile top bar and windows meet. Unlike on desktops where it looks neat and stylish, it looks outdated and unpolished on mobile.

Comment

Well it is fine that Gnome is usable after years. And good to know that it runs fine on your 64GB RAM high end PCs. However if COSMIC holds its promises, there is no reason to ever touch it again. That is a shame, because Gnome did a lot of bootstrapping work e.g. in the 3D acceleration and Wayland space, but so did Pulseaudio in the audio space and now it is replaced by Pipewire.
                  But the Linux Desktop in general is years behind Windows and MacOS in terms of "new" desktop features.

I don´t see a problem in flatpack, it is the logical conclusion that the application development in Linux is almost non existent, albeit there are some OS projects or server solutions. The reason is the fragmentation and only one decent GUI-kit (qt).

Comment

When my friends see KDE, they say, "Oh, okay, that's Linux."

Wenh my friends see GNOME, they say, "Wait, that's Linux?"

GNOME is the only DE that competes very well against other systems through actually thinking things differently and not being afraid to go with radical changes. KDE and the others merely redo the stuck-in-the-past "traditional desktop" ideology that makes Linux feel like a product of the older era, no better than Windows for the eyes of many people.

Normal people do not care about the underlying merkts of Linux and whatever ecosystem we would be building on, people care about how fast it is and how good it looks like, especially since everything is now buried behind GUI menus instead of commands like how a modern OS should be. If we'd just carbon copy the "traditional desktop" ideology, Linux would basically just be Windows with very few advantages outside of privacy aspects.

Comment

I use Gnome for about 9 years, I used to like it, but it's getting worse and worse by putting mobile-first approach in front of everything, and they're pushing flatpak so hard. I am really looking into Cosmic DE nowadays, the only problem for me is that it's Wayland only, I don't know how it's going to affect gaming performance on Nvidia gpu, but I am sure that System76 will figure something out
                      "they're pushing flatpak so hard" System76 also push flatpaks lol

Comment

Working...
                      X