Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mxan View Post

"they're pushing flatpak so hard" System76 also push flatpaks lol
    Yeah, I dislike GNOME but that's gotta take the cake. Freaking everyone aside from Canonical is pushing Flatpak hard. Sometimes Flats annoy me, but that has nothing to do with the merits of any specific desktop environment and all to do with interoperability and external hardware (both of which get easier and become less of a problem with subsequent Flatpak updates and more knowledge of how Flats work from increased use).

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

I don't understand the argumentation. Windows 8 has nothing to do with GNOME on Linux...
      It has -everything- to do with Gnome... Gnome 3's entire philosophy was derived from it....

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        and KDE gives reminds me Windows 98
        And that's a bad thing? (Fragility aside, Windows 98 SE was my favourite OS ever and, having recently installed it on a repurposed thin client with GeForce 4-equivalent integrated graphics, It holds up very well aside from a few keyboard shortcuts we now take for granted.)

One of the reasons I run KDE is that, with all this flat design, webtech, "cut out features to make room for mobile-first design", feature-poor CSDs, etc. going around, KDE feels like the last true bastion of the UI design lineage that I see in my Windows 98 SE retro PC, my Mac OS 9 retro PC, and my new Windows 98 SE thin client... and even that is dying the death of a thousand cuts with Kirigami.

Hell, even the literal Windows 98 SE and Mac OS 9 default themes hold up surprisingly well when you're looking at the genuine article running natively on bare metal in an LCD running at native resolution. (Uncanny Valley attempts to replicate them in Qt or GTK themes really do them dirty and, even in an accuracy-focused emulator like those from the PCem/86Box/VARCem lineage, it doesn't click when you run them in a window.)

(I'm one of those people who believes that UI design has been slowly and quietly rotting since around 2001. In Loving Memory of Square Checkbox is just the latest step.)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It has -everything- to do with Gnome... Gnome 3's entire philosophy was derived from it....
          I don't agree with that statement.

Comment

No, GNOME 3 came out before Windows 8. They're both artifacts of a shared madness named "convergence" that hits the industry every so often. Same as 3D movies and virtual reality headsets for purposes other than playing Beat Saber.

It's just that, this time, the industry has been dedicated enough to the idea that "The next generation of customers all have bicycles, so cars should be steered with handlebars instead of steering wheels for 'convergence'" is starting to stick.
            Last edited by ssokolow; 06 April 2024, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Why can't people just accept that some people like GNOME, some people like Plasma, some people even like both? It's nice to see GNOME refining their experience, kudos to the team for all the hard work they put into the last few releases. things have been looking very slick and tempt me to switch away from plasma given the buggy 6.0 release.

Though I wish the adwaita dark theme got some more love. Idk, something about it just doesn't feel as refined as the light theme, maybe it's just me but I feel like the color choices could use some work.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

No, GNOME 3 came out before Windows 8. They're both artifacts of a shared madness named "convergence" that hits the industry every so often. Same as 3D movies and virtual reality headsets for purposes other than playing Beat Saber.

It's just that, this time, the industry has been dedicated enough to their idea that "The next generation of customers all have bicycles, so cars should be steered with handlebars instead of steering wheels for 'convergence'" is starting to stick.
                Ok, that's fine I can agree with that.

Comment

I always thought GNOME 3 seemed to be derived from macOS and Android while Windows 8 was Microsoft's attempt to converge Mobile and Desktop with one similar UI using their Live Tiles. Those Live Tiles were the key to Windows 8 and GNOME has never had anything like that (not counting plugins). They only thing they 8 and GNOME had in common was a full screen app launcher, but nearly everything else about them was different.

IMHO, GNOME has only refined the appearance of a blended macOS and Android since then.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

And that's a bad thing? (Fragility aside, Windows 98 SE was my favourite OS ever and, having recently installed it on a repurposed thin client with GeForce 4-equivalent integrated graphics, It holds up very well aside from a few keyboard shortcuts we now take for granted.)

One of the reasons I run KDE is that, with all this flat design, webtech, "cut out features to make room for mobile-first design", feature-poor CSDs, etc. going around, KDE feels like the last true bastion of the UI design lineage that I see in my Windows 98 SE retro PC, my Mac OS 9 retro PC, and my new Windows 98 SE thin client... and even that is dying the death of a thousand cuts with Kirigami.

Hell, even the literal Windows 98 SE and Mac OS 9 default themes hold up surprisingly well when you're looking at the genuine article running natively on bare metal in an LCD running at native resolution. (Uncanny Valley attempts to replicate them in Qt or GTK themes really do them dirty and, even in an accuracy-focused emulator like those from the PCem/86Box/VARCem lineage, it doesn't click when you run them in a window.)

(I'm one of those people who believes that UI design has been slowly and quietly rotting since around 2001. In Loving Memory of Square Checkbox is just the latest step.)
                    Yup, more or less this ^^^

I still think Windows 2000 was the cleanest most usable desktop ever.

Comment

I'm actually quite thankful for Flatpaks for five reasons:
                      1. KGtk was a terrible, crash-happy LD_PRELOAD hack for injecting KDE Open/Save dialogs into GTK applications. Now we have XDG Portals.
                      2. Having applications built and tested for containerization, like with Flatpak, makes Flatseal and KDE's Flatpak KCM much less hassle than Firejail if you want to define custom sandboxing for applications.
                      3. It's much easier to roll back a buggy Inkscape update with Flatpak than with distro packages. The tools themselves give you a Git-like workflow for identifying and requesting old revisions.
                      4. Flatpaks are a much less fragile way to cherry-pick bleeding-edge applications on a Stable/LTS distro.
                      5. Every application I get from Flathub is one less thing making it annoying to migrate from Kubuntu LTS to Debian Stable or possibly openSUSE if it becomes to difficult to rip out the snap-based stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X