GNOME Improving Integration With systemd-homed, Mockups For An OS Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Improving Integration With systemd-homed, Mockups For An OS Installer

Phoronix: GNOME Improving Integration With systemd-homed, Mockups For An OS Installer

In addition to KDE's busy week of development work, GNOME developers have also been busy working on features like improving the systemd-homed integration and beginning to work on mock-ups for an OS installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nobody uses Windows 8 anymore, so why would anyone use GNOME?
    Use a modern DE instead or wait for COSMIC​.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
      Agreed, but if a large sum of change drops in your lap and gives a list of criteria to "improve" the project... Well why not.

Comment

I don't understand the argumentation. Windows 8 has nothing to do with GNOME on Linux...

Comment

If you're excited about COSMIC, I have some bad news for you: COSMIC mostly copies Gnome's design. So by you're logic, COSMIC is also not a "modern" DE.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            If you're excited about COSMIC, I have some bad news for you: COSMIC mostly copies Gnome's design. So by you're logic, COSMIC is also not a "modern" DE.
            COSMIC uses the design of Gnome, but not it's architecture since it's literally built from the ground up on another programming language. There are pros and cons to this method, but the point COSMIC is giving is to used what's known (Gnome since Pop_OS worked closely with Gnome) and do what they want with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

COSMIC uses the design of Gnome, but not it's architecture since it's literally built from the ground up on another programming language. There are pros and cons to this method, but the point COSMIC is giving is to used what's known (Gnome since Pop_OS worked closely with Gnome) and do what they want with it.
              I know about that and there's no doubt there are benefits to making something completely new from scratch using modern technologies, but he mentioned Windows 8, so I assume he specifically talked about the design.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

there would be no point in waiting for it if they didn't xD

Comment

I use Gnome for about 9 years, I used to like it, but it's getting worse and worse by putting mobile-first approach in front of everything, and they're pushing flatpak so hard. I am really looking into Cosmic DE nowadays, the only problem for me is that it's Wayland only, I don't know how it's going to affect gaming performance on Nvidia gpu, but I am sure that System76 will figure something out

Comment

Originally posted by uscracks94 View Post
                    I use Gnome for about 9 years, I used to like it, but it's getting worse and worse by putting mobile-first approach in front of everything, and they're pushing flatpak so hard. I am really looking into Cosmic DE nowadays, the only problem for me is that it's Wayland only, I don't know how it's going to affect gaming performance on Nvidia gpu, but I am sure that System76 will figure something out
                    I used to use gnome for a while, I actually don't mind the "mobile first" approach since it's actually really nice to have a DE usable with touch primary devices. My issue is with the abysmal performance of gnome and their hostility to their community and their problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X