KDE Is Down To Just One Wayland Showstopper Bug Remaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I assume you are one of the KDE developers, or somehow associated with the project, correct?
    Fedora KDE SIG member here

Some of the issues were error messages upon boot up, this happened mainly with Rocky KDE spin.
    Unfortunately we do not handle Rocky Linux ( I assume it's based on EPEL/Centos Stream and that means it's usually waaaay behind in features and bugfixes)

There was an issue that happened primarily with Fedora KDE spin, where the panel would just disappear, even though i figured out how to reset it to default configuration, this should not be happening at all.
    On which Plasma Version did you test? This sounds like a bug which has already been fixed.

There was another issue where opening a folder by using the shortcut on the panel would sometimes launch what looked like hundreds of folder instances, trailing ghosts, in a cascading fashion, going from bottom left to top right.
    This sounds like a driver issue unfortunately.

You have the issue where trying to move the panel from the bottom to the top always resulted in a differently configured panel, the only exception was the new Open Mandriva release. This should not require dragging a panel across the screen, with Windows and Mate you simple choose from a drop down menu where you want it and it happens automatically. In Cinnamon you choose what region you want it in and it snaps into place automatically. This is vastly superior to the way Plasma handles it.
    You mean like this: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma..._requests/1723 ? (not that this wouldn't be a bug but rather a missing functionality...)

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
      Teams has no client on Linux. Only browser, where it works fine. They had client, but it was deprecated probably a year ago and should not be used anymore
      Should not be used, but it still works ... so.
      Browser version doesn't work fine ... status refresh is very lazy. So lazy that I must refresh several times a day. If you are satisfied with this above-average level of service, this shows your general level of requirements.
      Last edited by TNZfr; 26 November 2023, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
        I might not be remembering correctly but I think that screensharing worked for me from browser Teams. I had a feeling that the standalone Teams package is dragging behind its browser counterpart in terms of features and bugfixes.
        Yes, in terms of functionalities, there's no possible comparation. But in terms of operation, the browser version is clearly lagging behind.

Comment

Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
          Should not be used, but it still works ... so.
          Browser version doesn't work fine ... status refresh is very lazy. So lazy that I must refresh several times a day. If you are satisfied with this above-average level of service, this shows your general level of requirements.
          Might not have anything to do with it being the browser version. Recently I discovered I have to reset my status manually every now and then even if I'm using the official Windows desktop app. Something's messed up on the server. Plus, the official Teams "desktop client" is just a repackaged electron app. So it's not expected to work any better than the browser version.

Comment

Originally posted by samuelec View Post
            I wonder how many years will pass by after the first "stable" release is released and the desktop experience becomes "stable" at least as it is right now (despite the fact that I still experience random freeze where you can only move around the mouse pointer.. probably originated by Firefox that it's allowed to freeze the whole KDE)
            Don't know where you get that. Using KDE Neon with wayland enabled by default for over a year now. Almost 2 and have to say - it is pretty damn stable! At least for me.
            Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post
              Unfortunately we do not handle Rocky Linux ( I assume it's based on EPEL/Centos Stream and that means it's usually waaaay behind in features and bugfixes)
              I only mentioned Rocky because I thought you were a KDE developer.

Based on the fact that the Rocky people thank Fedora and CentOS on their website, I assume that they are at least in part based on Fedora.

I will say that Rocky makes Fedora look like a professionally produced distro. Rocky claims on it's website that they have one sponsor that gives them a million dollars a year and a bunch of smaller sponsors. If that's the case I hope you guys are getting much more than that and that their sponsors demand a refund.

If any developer of the Rocky KDE spin read this, you guys really need to test your stiff before releasing it to the public.

On which Plasma Version did you test? This sounds like a bug which has already been fixed.
              The latest one, I downloaded the latest iso available on the Fedora website and updated immediately.

This sounds like a driver issue unfortunately.
              Here's the problem with this theory, it doesn't happen with Gnome, with Fedora Mate spin, with Fedora Cinnamon, with Ubuntu Mate, any version of Mint, it happened with KDE, mostly on Fedora, though i briefly saw a similar occurrence with Ubuntu KDE.

Here's the thing, this happened regardless of whether i used the crippled default Intel drivers or if i used the better Intel Media SDK stack or a different Intel driver.

BTW, Fedora reminds me a lot of Win 2k, in so far that it is almost unusable with a default install. I'm not talking about the default included packages, I'm talking about the functionality decision made in the name of some absurd philosophy.

In order to be able to play 4k videos smoothly, you need to enable 2 repositories, add the media group, swap out ffmpeg-free with ffmpeg, it's such a pain in the ass.

On Windows 10, the default drivers are good enough, just install smplayer or vlc and you're good to go.

With Manjaro, Ubuntu, MX Linux, Mint, practically every other distro, you're good to go right out of the box.

It doesn't that long, but it seems cheesy considering it's nearly 2024 and basic functionality is not to be had with a default install.

You mean like this: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma..._requests/1723 ? (not that this wouldn't be a bug but rather a missing functionality...)
              Good, so they at least realize it's half-assed the way they currently do it and it results in breaking almost immediately.

Comment

I only mentioned Rocky because I thought you were a KDE developer.

Based on the fact that the Rocky people thank Fedora and CentOS on their website, I assume that they are at least in part based on Fedora.

I will say that Rocky makes Fedora look like a professionally produced distro. Rocky claims on it's website that they have one sponsor that gives them a million dollars a year and a bunch of smaller sponsors. If that's the case I hope you guys are getting much more than that and that their sponsors demand a refund.
                We don't get any money on the KDE Sig, we contribute for free.

If any developer of the Rocky KDE spin read this, you guys really need to test your stiff before releasing it to the public.
                Please, stop demanding things from people when they are providing stuff for you for free

The latest one, I downloaded the latest iso available on the Fedora website and updated immediately.
                That is not very useful. We need to know which version you were testing

BTW, Fedora reminds me a lot of Win 2k, in so far that it is almost unusable with a default install. I'm not talking about the default included packages, I'm talking about the functionality decision made in the name of some absurd philosophy.
                First of all, whether the philosophy is absurd or not is not up to you to decide.

Second: it's not about philosophy, it's about *LEGAL* issues with patents.

In order to be able to play 4k videos smoothly, you need to enable 2 repositories, add the media group, swap out ffmpeg-free with ffmpeg, it's such a pain in the ass.
                I don't think that is true. I have the ffmpeg-free and I play 4k videos without issues.

Just fyi, there's an attempt to create an "boot" app which will ask you, most probably, if you want to enable rpmfusion and replace ffmpeg-free

It doesn't that long, but it seems cheesy considering it's nearly 2024 and basic functionality is not to be had with a default install.
                You don't know the amount of effort people have put to have a ffmpg installed by defaultl which supports free codecs.

Good, so they at least realize it's half-assed the way they currently do it and it results in breaking almost immediately.
                Is not half-assed. KDE devs do listen to their users and this is one of the things they added thanks to user feedback

Comment

I tried the latest Fedora KDE spin, 39, that uses Wayland by default, and it was a buggy mess, i have no idea how anyone could use it for more than a few days.
                  Drama queens keep writing these detail-free rants, while plenty of people, including me, have been using KDE on Wayland for years (in my case, since Fedora 36 as I recall).

Comment

Originally posted by skierpage View Post
                    Drama queens keep writing these detail-free rants, while plenty of people, including me, have been using KDE on Wayland for years (in my case, since Fedora 36 as I recall).
                    I have also been using Plasma on Wayland more than a year on Ubuntu. You can also configure SDDM (version 0.20) to start with Wayland it is working fine for me. There is no xorg in my process list now.
                    there is only one thing I am hoping next Plasma release will bring, which is RDP on Wayland. Krdp is in alpha stage, hopefully it will be included in the stable release sometime next year.
                    Last edited by mrg666; 27 November 2023, 05:16 PM.

Comment

We don't get any money on the KDE Sig, we contribute for free.
                      I am sorry to hear that, the Rocky people are making bank. We need to find you guys a sponsor, for a small percentage of course.

Please, stop demanding things from people when they are providing stuff for you for free
                      My apologies, I didn't realize that asking a software developer to spend all of 30 seconds testing their product before releasing to the public was "demanding".

This is the type of attitude that has kept Linux based OSes as an also ran. They release it with bugs that could be caught if they just powered on their system for 30 seconds but the user is somehow a bad guy for telling them there is a problem.

That is not very useful. We need to know which version you were testing
                      Are you kidding me? You work on the Fedora KDE project and you don't know what the latest version on the website is? Fedora 39, the one that was just released, how can you not know that?

First of all, whether the philosophy is absurd or not is not up to you to decide.

Second: it's not about philosophy, it's about *LEGAL* issues with patents.
                      And yet for some reason no other distro vendor seems to have these concerns, not Mint, not Ubuntu, not Debian, not Manjaro, not Arch, no one.

Only Fedora has decided that including basic functionality will lead to legal problems.

I don't think that is true. I have the ffmpeg-free and I play 4k videos without issues.
                      You don't think that's true?

The instructions on that page were a must for me to get smooth playback of 4k video.

Just fyi, there's an attempt to create an "boot" app which will ask you, most probably, if you want to enable rpmfusion and replace ffmpeg-free

You don't know the amount of effort people have put to have a ffmpg installed by defaultl which supports free codecs.
                      I am going to do you a solid and feel free to claim credit for this idea.

About 15 years ago there was a case, i think it was civil, brought by the MPAA, over DeCSS. The case went all the way to the supreme court, which rules that source code was protected free speech under the First Amendment. This is why ffmpeg releases only source code, no binaries.

Fedora could include a simple script on the desktop that allows users to build the non-free version of ffmpeg that supports nearly everything and install it. The same script could also enable the rpm fusion repos and anything else you think an end user might want.

I have one that i made for Ubuntu that installs all the software i use regularly and builds handbrake, ffmpeg and avidemux from source, just run it after a fresh install and walk away.

Nice and easy, Fedora will be 100% in the clear and end users can have an easy time getting a multimedia capable OS up and running.

It should also install the non-free drivers if they so desire.

Is not half-assed. KDE devs do listen to their users and this is one of the things they added thanks to user feedback
                      It most certainly is half-assed, they even admit it in the link you provided where they call it hacky.
                      Last edited by sophisticles; 28 November 2023, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X