No announcement yet.

KDE Is Down To Just One Wayland Showstopper Bug Remaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least, Wayland will be the default in Plasma when it's ready, GNOME had a tech preview as the default for years.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I certainly know the difference and IceWM/X11 provides nearly everything Gnome and KDE provide under Wayland. The Xorg server is not a joke.

A complete surprise for Wayland fans I suppose.
      No, it doesn't. Nor can it. Again. WINDOW MANAGER. Not a full fledged desktop environment. You obviously don't know the difference. That doesn't even get into the difference between how you have to implement the graphics stack under the environments.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
        I really hope it will work good enough when fedora will stop shipping Xorg.
        As I understand the current proposal, the intent is to only support the Wayland display server in official builds for the KDE and Gnome desktop environments (at least one person has already indicated they would intend to package the needed pieces for an X11 variant of the KDE DE in Fedora even if it is not part of the larger KDE build). While it is expected that RHEL-next will not ship the Xorg display server at all (RH does not want to support it for 10 years), Fedora has not yet proposed removing Xorg entirely from the distro, so those choosing other DE's should have more time to convert to wayland. Xwayland will continue to be available, of course, for X apps, although it is acknowledged that there are some apps (and the upstream is typically addressing this) that do not work well in that sandbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
          I really hope it will work good enough when fedora will stop shipping Xorg.

I give KDE on wayland a try every year or so and there where major showstoppers in previous years, despite it was claimed to be "almost ready".
          My most recent try "just" resulted in many applications having the same icon in the taskbar (the Wayland "W"-icon instead of the applications one) and external beamer not working as expected (which is a showstopper not only for teachers) . So till next year KDE on Wayland.
          This is one of main stoppers for me to switch to wayland, recently firefox and google-chrome fixed their icons, but still lots of apps are crippled! (W generic wayland icon)

Comment

I don't how accurate their math is.

I tried the latest Fedora KDE spin, 39, that uses Wayland by default, and it was a buggy mess, i have no idea how anyone could use it for more than a few days.

Kubuntu that uses X11 and Gecko Linux, KDE spin that also uses X11 are much better, with no graphical glitches and I must say, though i have ragged on Plasma in the past, it is starting to grow on me, like a nice fungus, that if left untreated lands you in the emergency room.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

Would you mind linking to the bug report you created describing your issue so that somebody can address it?

Thanks!
              I would like, but two things:
              first, it happens randomly once every 3 days or such and second I can move around the mouse pointer but I can't do anything else, the keyboard doesn't work.
              I can only shutdown my laptop with a long press of power button. I can't even be 100% sure it is coming from Firefox but most of the time I was browsing the web

Comment

How come this is not considered as showstopper I wonder...
                Windows marked "Keep above other windows" also go above Plasma menus, Panels, and popups

Comment

Originally posted by TNZfr View Post

It's not so simple as it seems ... Wayland needs low-level X11 layers to work.
                  Which low level X11 layers?

Comment

Originally posted by samuelec View Post

I would like, but two things:
                    first, it happens randomly once every 3 days or such and second I can move around the mouse pointer but I can't do anything else, the keyboard doesn't work.
                    I can only shutdown my laptop with a long press of power button. I can't even be 100% sure it is coming from Firefox but most of the time I was browsing the web
                    This is definitely not a firefox bug. Firefox might be triggering it, but is most probably a driver bug or a kwin bug.

Ideally you would switch to a TTY `ctrl+alt+f4` and get information from there. Alternatively you can ssh into the machine from another computer and troubleshoot/get information.

(random thought: does that happen on a computer which you suspend/resume? do you use Nvidia?)

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

No, it doesn't. Nor can it. Again. WINDOW MANAGER. Not a full fledged desktop environment. You obviously don't know the difference. That doesn't even get into the difference between how you have to implement the graphics stack under the environments.
                      I've been using Linux since the late 90s.

Tell me what you can do under Gnome/KDE that I cannot do under IceWM.

You keep saying "you don't know the difference" but you continue to fail to show what the difference is.

Here's what IceWM supports:
                      • Global shortcuts
                      • You can use third party apps for screen sharing/casting
                      • It has virtual desktops
                      • It offers the systray
                      • It offers various panel informational modules
                      • It offers layout switcher
                      What's there in the DE for you? A file manager? Who the fuck cares, you can use any graphical file manager in IceWM.

A rich settings applications? IceWM has a great INI file you can edit. Some settings can be changed from the UI.

IceWM is not a DE. It's as a good as one. Stop BSing me with "it's not a DE" I don't fucking care.

My point was IceWM under Xorg works better and offers more stable features than KDE under Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X