Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Is Down To Just One Wayland Showstopper Bug Remaining

Phoronix: KDE Is Down To Just One Wayland Showstopper Bug Remaining

The KDE Plasma 6.0 feature freeze is quickly approaching and the Plasma Wayland showstopper bug list is nearly cleared out for being able to endorse the Plasma Wayland session over X11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope it will work good enough when fedora will stop shipping Xorg.

I give KDE on wayland a try every year or so and there where major showstoppers in previous years, despite it was claimed to be "almost ready".
    My most recent try "just" resulted in many applications having the same icon in the taskbar (the Wayland "W"-icon instead of the applications one) and external beamer not working as expected (which is a showstopper not only for teachers) . So till next year KDE on Wayland.

Comment

So small, and already an X11 killer :mem:

Comment

Yeah, just one, as lots of others have been moved to non-showstoppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
          I really hope it will work good enough when fedora will stop shipping Xorg.

I give KDE on wayland a try every year or so and there where major showstoppers in previous years, despite it was claimed to be "almost ready".
          My most recent try "just" resulted in many applications having the same icon in the taskbar (the Wayland "W"-icon instead of the applications one) and external beamer not working as expected (which is a showstopper not only for teachers) . So till next year KDE on Wayland.
          This will be the day I will stop using Fedora.

A Linux distro with something tried and true such as Xorg is something I can work with outside Gnome/KDE, both behemoths with a ridiculous number of dependencies and insane RAM/CPU/GPU requirements.

I hope Xorg will be there for at least 20 more years. I cannot believe Wayland will fully mature outside Gnome/KDE earlier than that.

I'm not just talking just about XFCE, I'm talking minor projects such as IceWM or JWM.

I want to be able to boot into IceWM-Wayland and get all the features available in Gnome/KDE. That seems like a pure pipe dream in 2023.

And again people, who most like have not written a single line of code in their entire life and have been using Linux for a couple of years, are calling for dropping compatibility. This is just ugly.
          Last edited by avis; 25 November 2023, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            Haven't they said they'll stop shipping Xorg only with Gnome and KDE?

If they'll entirely remove Xorg packages from Fedora repositories, it will kill all the other spins, so imagine the outrage it will cause.

Comment

A Linux distro with something tried and true such as Xorg is something I can work with outside Gnome/KDE, both behemoths with a ridiculous number of dependencies and insane RAM/CPU/GPU requirements.

I hope Xorg will be there for at least 20 more years. I cannot believe Wayland will fully mature outside Gnome/KDE earlier than that.

I'm not just talking just about XFCE, I'm talking minor projects such as IceWM or JWM.

I want to be able to boot into IceWM-Wayland and get all the features available in Gnome/KDE. That seems like a pure pipe dream in 2023.

And again people, who most like have not written a single line of code in their entire life and have been using Linux for a couple of years, are calling for dropping compatibility. This is just ugly.
              For someone that just wrote your post... you do know the difference between a window manager and a full featured desktop environment, riiiiiiiight? IceWM will never have the same features "available in Gnome/KDE". That's not even a design goal even if they were all running the same back end of X, Wayland, or Arcan.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
                So small, and already an X11 killer :mem:
                It's not so simple as it seems ... Wayland needs low-level X11 layers to work.

Comment

Apparently Fedora starts too much stuff on KDE and Gnome by default. My Gnome desktop uses around 800-900 MiB.

People are quite different. I'm building my gentoo currently with most X11 dependencies disabled. I was able to get an X11 free system with something like sway or wayfire. Gnome still needs X11 at build time, it would seem.

Comment

I wonder how many years will pass by after the first "stable" release is released and the desktop experience becomes "stable" at least as it is right now (despite the fact that I still experience random freeze where you can only move around the mouse pointer.. probably originated by Firefox that it's allowed to freeze the whole KDE)

Comment

Working...
                    X