Linus Torvalds Encourages Kernel Developers & Everyone To Get Vaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    If nothing all he uses his false state as "great person that save live" and that everybody asks him about this covid shit to give cover for the government not do what is necessary just make a law or whatever is needed to give india the formula without any restrictions.

The EU could do it, so could amerika... he shuts down this discussion with spreading lies. If very very evil people like him get placed as some sort of hero and friend of human you know that everything else following this lie, can also only be a lie coming out of his mouth.
    Whatever Gates does, you seem to presume only the worst motives. Maybe you could try looking at what he said & why, then seeing if it checks out?

I wasn't a fan of how he ran Microsoft, but I think his organization is genuinely about helping people. I don't think one cancels out the other -- I look at them independently.

Comment

They warned the government in January that the numbers are no longer trustworthy.
      Let's assume the worst. So, what's you point? Does it make the pandemic a lie? No, certainly not.

It's definitely not good news, but there will hopefully be an investigation, people held accountable, and the problems fixed.

Still, I feel like what you're doing is grasping at every case where someone is committing a fraud or in some other way seeming to benefit from the pandemic, as if to cast a cloud of doubt around it. However, that ignores that people are committing frauds and trying to profit all the time. That's not going to stop, and especially not when the pandemic no longer seems out-of-hand.

Anti-government types love to use this tactic. Whenever you have an organization involved in so aspects of human society and with millions of employees, it's not hard to find isolated instances of fraud or corruption, or at least what appear to be such. These are zealously reported, as if to show the whole enterprise of government is rotten to the core. However, taken in perspective, they're probably not very significant. And instead of looking at how accountability can be improved to better prevent actual instances of fraud or corruption, right-wing media sends a message that the government is corrupt and must be stripped bare. If you want a conspiracy theory, there you go. It's all so plain and simple.

Comment

So you believe Gates more than the WHO?
        It said in even the part you quoted that they lacked the know-how. So, if you don't know how a thing is done, how could you be so certain that you have all the necessary capability to do it? These vaccine makers undoubtedly have experience making traditional vaccines and a vested interest in making Covid vaccines. We should just keep that in mind, and take their statements with a grain of salt.

As for the WHO, why do you presume they know the details of how the vaccines are made? No, I don't believe they're any better briefed on the matter than Gates.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
          There are two reasons, aside from your own well-being:
          1. Not everyone can take the vaccine, and vaccines don't work for everyone. We need herd immunity to protect these people.
          2. The longer we go without herd immunity, the more the virus can mutate, and that poses an increased risk even to the vaccinated.

I think it's in your self-interest to take it. However, if that's not enough motivation, perhaps you will think of the vulnerable, such as transplant recipients, people with autoimmune diseases, those undergoing chemotherapy, etc. and play a part in helping us reach herd immunity.
          Nah. I am perfectly healthy, have had hundreds of coronavirus infections throughout my life (It's called flu). Covid-19 is just another coronavirus, as name suggests.
          I will leave vaccinations to you.
          I prefer vaccines to come out of beta testing first. (Hint: 2023)

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
            While it's true that the efficacy is sometimes low, it's usually good enough for the vulnerable to be worth taking. Some years, it's in excess of 60%.

I'm not sure about the profitability of it, though. It's definitely not the most profitable product for Pharma companies, which is why I think most vaccine production happens in India.
            You claim that flu shots are 60% effective? Flip a coin like? How is that better from vitamin C, D and Zinc?
            Anyway, you surely have study behind this number to quote? Please do, we all want to hear the source.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreDoomed View Post
              As I said earlier, vaccines save millions, kill thousands. And it always sucks to be on the wrong side.
              Other vaccines may have saved millions, but in Covid-19 case, we don't know that yet, as Covid-19 vaccines have just been rolled out and are designed only for emergency use.

Comment

• Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                Other vaccines may have saved millions, but in Covid-19 case, we don't know that yet, as Covid-19 vaccines have just been rolled out and are designed only for emergency use.
                Actually we have a pretty good idea of how much the vaccines have saved. Look at places where more than half of the population is fully vaccinated and you'll see a sharp decrease in new infections.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Actually we have a pretty good idea of how much the vaccines have saved. Look at places where more than half of the population is fully vaccinated and you'll see a sharp decrease in new infections.
                  Last year, we also had sharp decrease in infections and deaths, throughout entire world. There was no vaccines back then. It happened because of summer. That's how coronaviruses works. If you have any doubts, check seasonal flu death rates and charts and compare them with Covid-19 charts. Flu, and Covid-19, are both coronaviruses.

Do you have proof that sharp decrease this year in new infections have anything to do with vaccines?

Also, infections are not deaths. We talk about deaths here. Coronavirus infections have 99.9% survival rate with or without vaccines.
                  Last edited by piorunz; 22 June 2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• In the meantime:

UK MHRA Yellow Card Reporting up to 9th June 2021 https://www.gov.uk/government/public...card-reporting
                    Cumulatively 26 weeks for Pfizer, 22 weeks for Astrazeneca and 9 weeks for Moderna

* Pfizer - 15.6million people have received 26.3million doses - Yellowcard reporting rate - 1-in-220 people impacted
                    * Astrazeneca - 24.6million people have received 42.3million doses - Yellowcard reporting rate - 1-in-122 people impacted
                    * Moderna - 0.56million people received first dose - Yellowcard reporting rate - 1-in-131 people impacted

Currently overall 1-in-147 people who have received one or both doses of a covid-19 vaccine experiences a Yellow Card Adverse Event.

Since we expect 10% to report adverse reactions it seems many have not been reported hinting that the real numbers could be 15X higher.

A significant proportion of these adverse events require urgent medical care, may be life changing or long lasting in effect, and represent immense human suffering and distress

Reactions - 202,036 (Pfizer) + 732,790 (AZ) + 12,042 (Moderna) + 2419 (Unknown) = 949,287
                    Reports - 70,950 (Pfizer) + 200,860 (AZ) + 4267 (Moderna) + 790 (Unknown) = 276,867
                    Fatal - 421 (Pfizer) + 885 (AZ) + 4 (Moderna) + 22 (Unknown) = 1332
                    Acute Cardiac - 2615 (Pfizer) + 7685 (AZ) + 77 (Moderna) + 20 (Unknown) = 10,370
                    Anaphylaxis - 376 (Pfizer) + 740 (AZ) + 12 (Moderna) + 2 (Unknown) = 1130
                    Blood Disorders - 6923 (Pfizer) + 6490 (AZ) + 239 (Moderna) + 28 (Unknown) = 13,680
                    Infections - 5030 (Pfizer) + 15,726 (AZ) + 198 (Moderna) + 65 (Unknown) = 21,019
                    Herpes - 1199 (Pfizer) + 2041 (AZ) + 25 (Moderna) + 11 (Unknown) = 3276
                    Headaches - 16,433 (Pfizer) + 78,088 (AZ) + 597 (Moderna) + 198 (Unknown) = 95,316
                    Migraine - 1618 (Pfizer) + 7096 (AZ) + 66 (Moderna) + 23 (Unknown) = 8803
                    Eye Disorders - 3398 (Pfizer) + 11,857 (AZ) + 124 (Moderna) + 40 (Unknown) = 15,419
                    Blindness - 46 (Pfizer) + 229 (AZ) + 1 (Moderna) + 3 (Unknown) = 279
                    Psychiatric Disorders - 3702 (Pfizer) + 14,883 (AZ) + 205 (Moderna) + 57 (Unknown) = 18,847
                    Skin Disorders - 15,005 (Pfizer) + 44,966 (AZ) + 2435 (Moderna) + 163 (Unknown) = 62,569
                    Spontaneous Abortions - 110 + 7 stillbirth/foetal death (Pfizer) + 86 + 3 stillbirth (AZ) + 4 (Moderna) + 1 (Unknown) = 201 + 10
                    Vomiting - 2320 (Pfizer) + 10,643 (AZ) + 102 (Moderna) + 37 (Unknown) = 13,102
                    Facial Paralysis incl. Bell’s Palsy - 485 (Pfizer) + 653 (AZ) + 16 (Moderna) + 3 (Unknown) = 1157
                    Face Swelling - 488 (Pfizer) + 925 (AZ) + 19 (Moderna) + 7 (Unknown) = 1439
                    Nervous System Disorders - 37,404 (Pfizer) + 158,126 (AZ) + 1769 (Moderna) + 482 (Unknown) = 197,781
                    Disturbances in Consciousness - 3049 (Pfizer) + 9442 (AZ) + 198 (Moderna) + 37 (Unknown) = 12,726
                    Strokes and CNS haemorrhages - 392 (Pfizer) + 1605 (AZ) + 5 (Moderna) + 4 (Unknown) = 2006
                    Guillian Barre Syndrome - 38 (Pfizer) + 294 (AZ) + 1 (Moderna) + 3 (Unknown) = 336
                    Dizziness - 5766 (Pfizer) + 22,126 (AZ) + 386 (Moderna) + 71 (Unknown) = 28,349
                    Tremor - 902 (Pfizer) + 9208 (AZ) + 34 (Moderna) + 36 (Unknown) = 10,180
                    Thrombosis & Embolism (All types) - 734 (Pfizer) + 4380 (AZ) + 12 (Moderna) + 20 (Unknown) = 5146
                    * Pulmonary Embolism - 246 (Pfizer), 1236 (AZ), 3 (Moderna), 5 (Unknown)
                    * Deep Vein Thrombosis - 156 (Pfizer), 928 (AZ), 1 (Moderna), 6 (Unknown)
                    Respiratory Disorders - 8709 (Pfizer) + 24,089 (AZ) + 308 (Moderna) + 72 (Unknown) = 33,178
                    Nosebleeds - 514 (Pfizer) + 1911 (AZ) + 24 (Moderna) + 6 (Unknown) = 2455
                    Seizures - 493 (Pfizer) + 1683 (AZ) + 29 (Moderna) + 9 (Unknown) = 2214
                    Paralysis - 191 (Pfizer) + 599 (AZ) + 11 (Moderna) + 3 (Unknown) = 804
                    Haemorrhage (All types) - 1013 (Pfizer) + 3126 (AZ) + 80 (Moderna) + 10 (Unknown) = 4229
                    Vertigo/Tinnitis - 1796 (Pfizer) + 5127 (AZ) + 97 (Moderna) + 19 (Unknown) = 7039
                    Reproductive/Breast - 3335 (Pfizer) + 7186 (AZ) + 378 (Moderna) + 32 (Unknown) = 10,931

These experimental vaccines don't look very safe to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                      Last year, we also had sharp decrease in infections and deaths, throughout entire world. There was no vaccines back then. It happened because of summer. That's how coronaviruses works. If you have any doubts, check seasonal flu death rates and charts and compare them with Covid-19 charts. Flu, and Covid-19, are both coronaviruses.

Do you have proof that sharp decrease this year in new infections have anything to do with vaccines?
                      Worldwide stats aren't reliable because every country is so variable.
                      I suppose it's worth pointing out that some vaccines are known to be more effective than others. So, in the US for example, vaccines have largely been deployed at the beginning of 2021 and the numbers have plummeted far greater than any other instance where the infection rate has dropped. Prior to the vaccines, the greatest drop in infections the US saw was basically from Christmas to New Years, where the average infection rate dropped by about 40k. Since the 2nd week of January, the average infection rate dropped from 254k to 54k by mid March.
                      Then in mid April, just about every country saw an increase (I wouldn't be surprised if this is correlated to the events in Brazil and India) but it was relatively minimal in the US (a peak at around 71k). After that hiccup, the infection rate has been on a steady decline, and is currently at 11k. That's the lowest it's been since March of 2020.
                      Bear in mind, there are many states that have very sub-par vaccination rates, like Arkansas or Mississippi, and yet, nation-wide, the US is seeing infection rates pretty close to the UK.
                      If you look at states like Vermont, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, which have among the highest vaccination rates in the country, they each have seen ZERO new infections for June 19th and 20th, and a few other random days earlier in the month too. Bear in mind, the latter 2 of those states are in the top 4 most densely populated states, so it's not like there's much of a place for people to hide from the virus.

As I've been saying over and over again: just look at the numbers.

I am surprised Europe isn't seeing quite as much success (April seems to have hit them much harder) but there's no doubt that the infections are dropping there a little too rapidly to not think something was causing it. I know much of Europe uses a vector vaccine, which I assume is less effective at preventing infections against mutations.

Also, infections are not deaths. We talk about deaths here. Coronavirus infections have 99.9% survival rate with or without vaccines.
                      Deaths are prevented when infections are prevented...

Comment

Working...
                      X