Linus Torvalds Encourages Kernel Developers & Everyone To Get Vaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lyamc View Post
    The neutral source should have both sides in there so no one has to look elsewhere.
    You're conflating that with political neutrality.

If we're talking about scientific reporting then the standard is that the research and review process need to be carried out with integrity. And reporting on such studies shouldn't put their findings on par with rumor, hearsay, or anecdotes. Only other, comparable studies, if relevant.

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
    The problem is that isn’t happening anymore because financially it is better to post propaganda-style articles to drive clicks and subscriber counts
    There are plenty of news sources I trust. Just don't go for clickbait or blatantly ideological outlets.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
      I'm just very skeptical that we can get rid of this eventually. We will not get enough people immunized to catch up with the mutations that are already existing. I think the best outcome we can hope for is that we have a similar situation to the common cold or flu, where your immunity may still be somewhat recognizing the virus as it constantly changes and that just makes another common cold virus out of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong and there is still a chance to prevent this, but I don't see how.
      The flu virus mutates much faster, due to having a second mechanism of introducing mutations.

As for whether the world can ever be rid of Covid-19, I fear you might be right. There are diseases like measles that still exist, but we can effectively manage through vaccinations. The annual flu vaccine is another example of managing a disease through vaccination, although flu vaccines typically have a fairly low efficacy rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Should enough people refuse to take vaccines, covid will become yet another culprit of the common cold. The only difference is its contagiousness.
        I'm not sure if you're referencing this or not, but as viruses circulate, they tend to become less deadly. The reason for this is quite simple: there's selection-pressure against killing, incapacitating, or even giving severe symptoms to people, before they can spread it widely.

However, it's not obvious that will happen with SARS-CoV-2, due to its trick of asymptomatic/presymptomatic spread. So, we might instead be looking like something of a measles scenario, wherein the virus needs to be managed through routine vaccinations.

BTW, measles in incredibly contagious. Its reproduction rate is about 5x that of SARS-CoV-2, and its fatality rate is about 0.2%. Anyone not vaccinated against it would be well-advised to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Going back to Phoronix-related topics, why is there not more discussion about the SW stack on these alleged vaccine microchips ? Why do we think Bill Gates is promoting them given that they probably run Linux anyways... or are we thinking "Linux over HyperV" ?

Do they have wide area networking capability or is the theory that the desired behaviour they are going force on us is already programmed into the microchips ? If we have almost a billion people vaccinated, surely someone would have reverse-engineered them by now, if only enough to run desktop Linux on them.
          Well, no way they could run Linux (not enough RAM or need for OS services to justify the runtime overhead), but I like where your head is at.

It would be interesting to look at the state of the art and look at what would be possible. I guess the first question we'd have to grapple with would be the size range that could be injected without having serious and immediate health consequences. Blood clots and stroke would probably be the main concerns.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
            Med_ already debunked the conclusion that mRNA vaccines could therefore modify human genes in a previous post:

And, as I previously said about this, cellular biology is exquisitely complex. You can't just take a leap from saying "RNA can modify DNA" to "mRNA vaccines modify DNA". There are lots of distinctions that apply, and therefore work that would need to be done to show that it is also true in that case. So, your "just sayin..." really isn't saying what you think it does.
            I'm not saying what you imply.

I'm "just sayin" that the "RNA to DNA" process is close enough to the "mRNA to DNA" process that, over short or long, you *will* see that in action. You'll find enough examples of similar assertions in history ("that boat is un-sinkable", "that reactor vessel is safe", "the marxists will never infiltrate USA" ...)

You say quite correctly that "cellular biology is exquisitely complex". I am actually quite amused to watch how many IT folks play themselves up as microbiology experts.

Comment

• Originally posted by aht0 View Post
              Scarfs and shit like this has very little effect and it's limited to catching larger aerosol particles, is all. Still better than nothing.
              I actually heard that thin cloths, like bandanas, are counterproductive. The reason being that they don't catch many particles, instead tending to break up respiratory droplets into smaller ones that can remain airborne longer.

Your other info seems legit.

Comment

• Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                I will never vaccinate. Now what? If vaccine you are praising so much works, why would anyone worry about me not being vaccinated? I thought you are fully protected if you take it?
                There are two reasons, aside from your own well-being:
                1. Not everyone can take the vaccine, and vaccines don't work for everyone. We need herd immunity to protect these people.
                2. The longer we go without herd immunity, the more the virus can mutate, and that poses an increased risk even to the vaccinated.

I think it's in your self-interest to take it. However, if that's not enough motivation, perhaps you will think of the vulnerable, such as transplant recipients, people with autoimmune diseases, those undergoing chemotherapy, etc. and play a part in helping us reach herd immunity.

Comment

Covid-19 death average is 80+, just like natural deaths. UK Government:
                  "According to official NHS data which can be viewed here, as of the 2nd June 2021, 87,213 Covid deaths within 28 days of a positive test have been recorded in England hospitals. Of these 83,624 all died of other serious pre-existing conditions"
                  Source?

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                  Young healthy people are perfectly safe. If you think otherwise, you haven't studied government's own data.
                  They were never perfectly safe, but the Delta variant from India is much more aggressive towards younger people. Correspondingly, hospitalizations of younger individuals are up in the regions outside of India to which it has spread.

Imagine disease so deadly you have to be tested to know if you have it.
                  There's an incubation period, during which you can still spread it. Some people never develop serious symptoms, but others do. Why is that so hard to grasp?

No.. Oops:
                  That's disinformation by a partisan site. Please stop posting from there.

Where are these people? You mean that 500 (in age group 30-39) people out of 8 million? I will take my chances.
                  According to this, the 18-49 demographic is currently about 42% of the hospitalizations, in the US.

Here are some of the complications likely to afflict people unfortunate enough to require hospitalization:

Are you saying vaccine is a perfect protection then?
                  No, I didn't say the vaccine was perfect. I said good health is not perfect protection.

Where are studies confirming it's efficiency?
                  This has details of the vaccines and links to efficacy data:

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    Most people do not get vaccinated for the flu either, which is why the flu remains with us forever.
                    So far, flu vaccine efficacy has been far too low for it to carry the potential of eradication. Some years, it's even been as low as 20%.

Newer vaccine tech could conceivably offer much better efficacy. IIRC, mRNA vaccine tech was previously being researched as a means of developing better flu vaccines. I think that's definitely something we can look forward to.

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    We could get rid of the flu if we wanted,
                    Due to the flu virus' intrinsically higher mutation rate & its avian reservior, it's unlikely we could ever eradicate it, but it could certainly be managed much better.

I'm actually most encouraged by the drastic drop in flu deaths seen around the world, in the past year. That tells us that masks, hygiene, distancing, ventilation, etc. is all we need to dramatically improve management of the flu. Add better vaccines to that mix and it might no longer be a significant concern for elderly and other susceptible populations.

I predict mask-wearing during cold & flu season is here to stay, at least among more vulnerable populations. It's been normalized in Asia for a couple decades, already (I'm not sure if that was brought about by SARS or what).

Comment

Check out this PDF on VAERS and other things. https://odysee.com/@SixthSense-Truth...ta_11APR2021:e
                      This is a great misuse of the databases of VAERS and EudraVigilance. Allow me to explain the fallacy.
                      These databases are fairly complete, and register any "events" that happen after (in the "time" sense) vaccination.
                      But you see, people die everyday, vaccinated or not, so when you do a massive (almost 100%) campaign of vaccination, you will have people who die following the injection of the vaccine, but with mostly unrelated cause. As usual, you have to look at the over-mortality number, not the raw mortality. You have to verify if the vaccine is responsible for a augmentation of mortality.
                      (I mean, it is obvious that the authors don't understand what the data mean, they don't even understand why there are actual infections reported after vaccinations..., basically they don't understand the difference between "all events" (what is the database is) and "events exclusively caused by the vaccines" (what the database isn't))

That being said, vaccines are obviously not 100% safe. I don't have the number worldwide for the confirmed link between COVID and deaths, but for example in Norway the lethality of the vaccine was estimated between 0.03% and 0.1% for the nursing home residents. This may seem high, but one have to remember that this specific population have a mortality rate for the actual virus typically around 5-15%.
                      As I said earlier, vaccines save millions, kill thousands. And it always sucks to be on the wrong side.

Comment

Working...
                      X