No announcement yet.

It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be glad if all these wayland FUDsters gets tired and leaves linux once and for all. Just too much baseless complaints without any actions while reaping of free software. Submit a PR or GTFO.

Comment

What exactly is/was wrong with MIR ?

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
        I would be glad if all these wayland FUDsters gets tired and leaves linux once and for all. Just too much baseless complaints without any actions while reaping of free software. Submit a PR or GTFO.
        We were on linux probably before you were born and X served as well all this time ...

I am not against wayland, but they can't get their shit together in more that 10 years !

Comment

Stop using it then, they don't owe you anything. Do you donate huge sums of money to them? Maybe start your own company to fund development of X instead of complaining?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Those are the same kind of people who think that Covid is a hoax. They've not yet been infected (or had it without symptoms), so if it's not been bad for them, it's not so bad for everyone. The state of the X.org code base is undeniable. Wayland is not some project by outside developers – it is the solution by X.org developers themselves.
            COVID isn't a hoax... our response to it is. Take a look at the bullshit that wen't on in california and NY... they directly caused 40k+ deaths by putting covid patients in old folks homes.

As far as Xorg Wayland... I have still never even booted up a machine with wayland, the whole I'll give you a protocol but its not my job to be the compositor BS mentality has made it so we have several crap implementations instead of one good one. Also client side decorations is stupid.... the only place that ever would have worked is if you only had 1 framework.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              Awesomeness i see. so the revenue is the factor that u measure the succes of a distro.
              Of course. That's the only objective one.

u forgot about android. after all its also linux at its core. and that being the case then your "most successful" distro is not that successful.
              No, I didn't. I wrote "GNU/Linux". Android isn't GNU and neither are many embedded distributions.
              Granted, in one comment I forgot the "GNU" but in the one that you made that reply to, I didn't.

as for popularity statistics somehow RH/fedora is not in top 3.
              So? First of all, web polls are not an objective way to measure success. Popularity is also not the same as success. A sports team can have the most fans but if other teams win the championships, those are the more successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                What exactly is/was wrong with MIR ?
                It's so bad, not even its developer is using it for its default desktop.

Comment

I am not against wayland, but they can't get their shit together in more that 10 years !
                  Newsflash: software engineering is time consuming hard work.

Trying to re-invent an already mature, stable, and well adopted piece of software is pretty tricky. Just look at how Mozilla has fared... C++ is still around, re-writing things in Rust is a funny meme, and Firefox is still slow/behind Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                    no huge feature that needs to be added.
                    Many huge security fixes that need to be added but the situation is so bad, the developers collectively agreed that a full replacement is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

Newsflash: software engineering is time consuming hard work.

Trying to re-invent an already mature, stable, and well adopted piece of software is pretty tricky. Just look at how Mozilla has fared... C++ is still around, re-writing things in Rust is a funny meme, and Firefox is still slow/behind Chrome.
                      Yeah, and despite him being "born before me" has not made him wiser to realise that. I guess thats what we can call reverse ageing.

Comment

Working...
                      X