It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
    Then everyone is going to hate Microsoft if they make a fully working GUI which conquer the Linux Desktop for all eternity with propriety software ...
    Honestly at this point, I almost wish they would. Or someone would. It seems like we're going to have two camps for all eternity: Those that say Wayland is fine and everything is going swell, and everyone else (the majority) still using X because obviously Wayland isn't fine.
    Next thing they will start charging for that DE...
    Ok, I definitely don't want them doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

IBM owns Red Hat. They have plenty of manpower and funds. They just have other priorities. It's basically what 144Hz said -- The status quo is good enough for GNOME and XWayland.
      If you look at just the desktop Gnome experience, it might be ok. But what about stuttering in XWayland, multi dpi, scaling, free sync, VR, ...? As far as I know all these areas need improvements. Good enough for some is still not good enough for the other valid use cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        The most successful Linux distributor moved its distributions to Wayland long ago. You are very misinformed.
        I think they used to say the same thing about Ubuntu and Mir didn't they?

And now Mir is pretty much just going to be a compatibility layer over whatever crap they think they might need to support in the future. Now it is Wayland. When Gnome 4 comes out it will be something different.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
          Honestly at this point, I almost wish they would. Or someone would. It seems like we're going to have two camps for all eternity: Those that say Wayland is fine and everything is going swell, and everyone else (the majority) still using X because obviously Wayland isn't fine.
          If they did ever do this they would ideally end up with a compatibility layer between Win32, Xorg and Wayland.

However Microsoft doesn't do things correctly. This is just what they are. So instead they will provide a completely different underlying system that only works with proprietary GPU vendors leveraging neither Xorg or Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
            For my fiancee i need a way to dim brightness and blue per commandline (she remote controls that through her phone)

Is that even theoretically possible with wayland?
            I don't do blue shifting, but I do use the command line for brightness control. I use https://github.com/Hummer12007/brightnessctl another popular option is https://github.com/haikarainen/light

Color correction seems to be compositor specific: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight#Wayland

Comment

Which have almost no native apps and still relies on the the old one to provide any form of usability
              This. I'm really surprised nobody is talking about it. The only native wayland software I can think of are some DE's, and some web browsers. Pretty much every other third party software doesn't support Wayland. If you really want Wayland to gain adoption and start replacing X, third party software must start supporting it, otherwise I don't understand what's the point of it when you run almost everything apart from your DE through xwayland. These last few years I heard so many times about all the GNOME/KDE Wayland improvements, but when it comes to third party software, there is pretty much zero progress in Wayland adoption.

Comment

Wake me up when I can run Sway without telling me that "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia".
                Until then, Xorg works just fine with i3.

Comment

With developers like Linux has who needs enemies? The drama I'm seeing here is so typical. Security flaws! Ebil Nvidia! I swear it plays just like a broken record. Heard it all a billion times before. Use this crap ass new project that sucks the big wazoo, it's the answer! Forget about that long established project we have that works. Uh huh.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post
                    Use this crap ass new project that sucks the big wazoo, it's the answer! Forget about that long established project we have that works. Uh huh.
                    Keep using unmaintained X then, nobody is stopping you. Or start maintaining / pay to maintain it yourself.

X was being criticised since 80s - 90s; the design did not last, as the project was basically turned inside-out to support modern environments. Nobody wants to work on it any more, and nobody wants to pay for maintenance of it any more.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      I think they used to say the same thing about Ubuntu and Mir didn't they?
                      Neither Ubuntu nor Mir have anything to do with the most successful GNU/Linux distributor.

Comment

Working...
                      X