No announcement yet.

It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm more than willing to jump the Wayland boat once either Gnome or KDE sorts out VRR for both Wayland/XWayland apps. I tried to use sway for a few days and it's fast and smooth but having no DE in a Wayland WM seemed even worse than something like i3 in terms of needed workarounds for my apps.

Comment

• As long as Wayland devs live in their own bubble, X is not going to be abandonware UNFORTUNATELY.
      It just escapes my mind why they force you to use VSync, at least make it opt-out...
      I'd rather use X than have a stuttery mess with input lag, thank you very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fanboy80 View Post
        As long as Wayland devs live in their own bubble, X is not going to be abandonware UNFORTUNATELY.
        It just escapes my mind why they force you to use VSync, at least make it opt-out...
        I respect the vsync argument but I never really understood it, at least not in modern times. In the past I heard a lot of issues about it, but recently I've never heard complaints about it. Primarily in Windows, since DWM forces vsync. There used to be dirty hacks to disable it (like, killing DWM), but that was when 7 just came out. That's nearly a decade ago and since then I've never heard of people complaining about forced vsync. Either it isn't an issue on modern hardware, or GNOME/KDE and other compositors are doing something wrong. Or it's nVidia's fault, could be that too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fanboy80 View Post
          As long as Wayland devs live in their own bubble, X is not going to be abandonware UNFORTUNATELY.
          Not all wayland compositors are created equal. X11 is a very tearing mess when you don't have any form of VSync.

X11 took decades to develop to where it is today. Wayland developers fixing the issues is taking time.

Really the number of performance fixes that gnome has found in their main shell solution is insane.

There has been a lot of faults that before the wayland work we have been ignoring.

Comment

• A good app is essential to make a business successful. Thus, it becomes imperative to hire app developers to develop for a company with the experience and expertise in this domain.
            Last edited by Ardin; 24 November 2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X