No announcement yet.

Xfce's Wayland Compositor Code Continues Improving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honestly if all the developers who wasted their time on making wayland compositors had instead just grouped up and made a more complete protocol of their own instead (I remember laughing when MIR was made, I shouldn't have, it was a better idea than Wayland, it had to be, anything is a better idea than wayland), there wouldn't be any modern desktop environments still being devleoped for X11.

The reasons for developing wayland were correct~ish. But wayland is a worthless piece of shit.

A display protocol that nobody has managed to develop any complete environment on because it is too convoluted, poorly documented, poorly designed and just plain poorly made is worth less than nothing. If anything it owes all these developers years of their time that they've wasted trying to develop on it to such limited success.

Comment

Originally posted by asriel View Post

Delete Xwayland from your computer to run PURE wayland and you will soon understand that wayland is crap.
      You're assuming too much. My terminal, browser, email client, and video player are all running on wayland, so I wouldn't notice right away.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Well said. Thanks for proving my point. And now I will disable notifications for these forums. I'm effing tired of this.
        I guess I should have kept running X until you were happy with the state of whatever it is you use on your desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post
          As far is public the plan is to use wlroots, see https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap (also check the page history for discussion, reasons and discarded options)
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            honestly if all the developers who wasted their time on making wayland compositors had instead just grouped up and made a more complete protocol of their own instead (I remember laughing when MIR was made, I shouldn't have, it was a better idea than Wayland, it had to be, anything is a better idea than wayland), there wouldn't be any modern desktop environments still being devleoped for X11.
            Ironically it is actually the x-server developers who came up with the idea of Wayland, including contributors from kde and gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post

Ironically it is actually the x-server developers who came up with the idea of Wayland, including contributors from kde and gnome.
              I've heard this many times but no one has shown the actual names. Would be nice if someone grepped X.org/Wayland/Weston developers and checked how true this statement is.

Comment

I've heard this many times but no one has shown the actual names. Would be nice if someone grepped X.org/Wayland/Weston developers and checked how true this statement is.
                wayland is a freedesktop.org project.
                freedesktop.org is the same organisation maintaining x11 and it is part of the X.Org Foundation.

Comment

Many presentations over the years have listed the core developers of Wayland all of them have x.org X11 server background including time as the X11 x.org server lead.

Also takes a while to glue the different wayland repos member lists with each other.​this shows that each wayland repo can have unique users.
                  X.Org and X11 protocol, server, driver, library, and application development

these member lists are not 100 percent unique either you find a lot of overlap with developers who have submitted code into x.org.

Yes there are more listed x.org developers but then you have to filter on activity.

Wayland has less total developers but more active ones. The number of active x.org X11 developers has been in decline for some time.
                  Last edited by oiaohm; 15 May 2023, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Very keen in giving this one a go. Good on XFCE team for finally making decent progress. I wonder if they can get some better colour management options going also. I know some wayland backends allow gamma changing and such.

EDIT: wlroots, that's the one. Hope 10bit (30bpc) comes along soon also (without horrible bugs).

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

You're assuming too much. My terminal, browser, email client, and video player are all running on wayland, so I wouldn't notice right away.
                      If that is really all you use - then true, wayland is for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X