Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce's Wayland Compositor Code Continues Improving

Phoronix: Xfce's Wayland Compositor Code Continues Improving

A status update was posted this week around xfwm4-wayland with the Xfce Wayland compositor code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to finally seeing my Xfce desktop on Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by tachi View Post
      Looking forward to finally seeing my Xfce desktop on Wayland!
      In 2026 maybe. As an alpha version. With a ton of crashes and missing features.

XFCE needs to run a fundraising campaign.

Comment

Such news are mixed bag for me. While certainly nice to see Wayland getting more traction, it's such a waste of human efforts.
        Imagine Wayland being like Bitcoin: white paper and reference implementation everyone can use*. The spec was released like 15 years ago (yeah, that much). Fragmentation ... (also see https://dudemanguy.github.io/blog/po...land-xorg.html)

I've recently had xdg-desktop-portal-{kde,gnome,gtk,wlr,hyprland} installed, which occurred almost naturally. Hi, crappy gnome file picker and screen sharing on Wayland

(* yes, there is Weston, but is it used by anyone? All the projects has their own compositors)

Comment

It would be really awesome having XFCE back. It is still one of the best DE by far in all aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            Their Open Collective pages have plenty of donations sitting there waiting to be used, so I feel that it's less of a money thing and just maintainers' time. Of course, please do donate to show that you love the work that they are doing.

Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly. Update May 2023: At this time, we are temporarily pausing donations.

Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly. Update May 2023: At this time, we are temporarily pausing donations.

Comment

Originally posted by murlakatamenka View Post
              S
              uch news are mixed bag for me. While certainly nice to see Wayland getting more traction, it's such a waste of human efforts.
              Imagine Wayland being like Bitcoin: white paper and reference implementation everyone can use*. The spec was released like 15 years ago (yeah, that much). Fragmentation ... (also see https://dudemanguy.github.io/blog/po...land-xorg.html)

I've recently had xdg-desktop-portal-{kde,gnome,gtk,wlr,hyprland} installed, which occurred almost naturally. Hi, crappy gnome file picker and screen sharing on Wayland

(* yes, there is Weston, but is it used by anyone? All the projects has their own compositors)
              Why don't they use wlroots though?
              It's quite mature compared to weston and can create a very much usable desktop (swaywm).

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

In 2026 maybe. As an alpha version. With a ton of crashes and missing features.

True XFCE could do with more resources.

Also weren't you the one who claimed XFCE was dead?

You pollute every single thread you are on, shitting all over the place you filthy bird.

Why are you here? Just to suffer?

Comment

Originally posted by murlakatamenka View Post
                  Imagine Wayland being like Bitcoin: white paper and reference implementation everyone can use*.

Wayland is reference protocol, Weston is the "proof of concept" implementation. Weston is not meant to be used as a daily gear, but as an example implementation of Weston protocol features. Or am I missing something?

Comment

Nice of XFCE joining the 21st century.

Comment

Working...
                    X