AMD Posts Initial AMDGPU Hybrid Driver With Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    hybrid driver? Does that mean AMD to allow Vulkan within OpenGL apps like Nvidia? Would help many devs I guess.
    What I mean is running within an OpenGL context. So devs would not need to replace all at once.

Comment

Anyone tried Talos with it?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Anyone tried Talos with it?
        2 posts in this thread mentioned that it ran with the Vulkan renderer, but neither gave any numbers. It would be nice if a portage maintainer could look at the Vulkan SDK. That's what's holding me up right now. I can't figure how to install it on gentoo.
        Last edited by duby229; 19 March 2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucretia

Are you writing ebuilds for Gentoo? If so, I'll wait on you. As for the SDK, there is an ebuild here https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=574886
          Oh cool, thanks so much for the link. google failed me hard.. And it was on the bug tracker this whole time! I have written simple ebuilds, but im no master.

EDIT: It installed with no errors. Now I'll try to see if I can get the new drivers installed.
          Last edited by duby229; 19 March 2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

An ebuild really only needs the closed stuff in it, GL/CL/VK and tools. There needs to be an ebuild for the X modules, /usr/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu/xf86-video-amdgpu-9999.ebuild should grab the latest in the tree, so this should be enough for this driver. I think there needs to be a firmware one as the radeon files differ tot he ones installed here.
            Yeah, I see what you mean, the firmware files are not exactly identical. But there is one person that posted in this thread that he was able to get away with using an upstream 4.5 kernel with amdgpu, so I'm guessing that may well be the better option.

Comment

An ebuild really only needs the closed stuff in it, GL/CL/VK and tools. There needs to be an ebuild for the X modules, /usr/portage/x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu/xf86-video-amdgpu-9999.ebuild should grab the latest in the tree, so this should be enough for this driver. I think there needs to be a firmware one as the radeon files differ tot he ones installed here.
              EDIT: Last post got stuck in the mod que, but yeah, I do see what you mean about the firmware files. They exactly identical. But there is one post in this thread where he was able to get away with an upstream 4.5 kernel with amdgpu. So that may well be the better option.

Comment

EDIT: Last 2 posts got stuck in the mod que.

I see what you mean about the firmware files, but there was one post in this thread where he was able to use an upstream 4.5 kernel with amdgpu so that may well be the better option.

Comment

I also have the question bout whether it would be technically possible to use mesa for opengl while still using the hybrid Vulkan and OpenCL?

Comment

bridgman:

Is there a specific place one can voice support for including GCN 1.0 support in AMDGPU? Because HD78xx, HD79xx and R9 2(7|8)0(x) hardware has aged pretty well as far as I can tell...

In my perfect world, I'll get to run my 2xHD 7970 GHz. Ed. cards on Linux instead of Windows using the hybrid driver. Pretty please? =)

Comment

amd r9 290 with hp 2311x / lg 42lb620v result was "EDID checksum invalid" no go

Comment

Working...
                      X