AMD Posts Initial AMDGPU Hybrid Driver With Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple more questions:

1. I wonder if future driver releases will include HSA support?

2. Since there is local repo now, how about setup repository on AMD.com?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      I have to say it's pretty impressive how new installer is done (idea with repo is good one - I like it). I understand this particular release about rolling out Vulkan driver, but what about video encoding in future driver releases? Is there any plans to do that and how? VA-API or something different?
      The current preview driver should have the same video encode/decode support as the amdgpu all-open stack (I think that's GStreamer but not sure), let us know if you aren't seeing that.

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      Question- when the official version 1 of hybrid AMDGPU driver is released; will it officially support CI? Or will it still be experimental to be enabled by default in a subsequent release?
      Should be enabled by default just like the current preview driver -- what I'm not sure about yet is how much QA coverage it will get. If you check post #32 above at least 1 user is running the stack on CI already.
      Test signature

Comment

We haven't merged latest HSA support (specifically dGPU support) back into the amdgpu tree but that's fairly high on the priority list.

At the moment amdgpu staging is running on a 4.4-based tree while amdkfd staging is running on a 4.1-based tree... my ongoing "spare time" project is to try and get amdkfd staging moved to 4.4 as well, which is a pre-requisite to pushing kfd (and HSA support) back into amdgpu.

IIRC the initial preview release contains kfd code from 4.3 upstream, which includes Carrizo support but not dGPU.
        Test signature

Comment

clpeak, clinfo and vulkaninfo on openSUSE 42.1 with hd 7790
          http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=2934
          3D does not work, need to wait for non Ubuntu specific packages.

Comment

undefined symbol: amdgpu_get_marketing_name with git libdrm
            where i can find libdrm source with amdgpu_get_marketing_name?

Comment

Anyone tested these on 16.04?

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                clpeak, clinfo and vulkaninfo on openSUSE 42.1 with hd 7790
                http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=2934
                3D does not work, need to wait for non Ubuntu specific packages.
                HD7790 is special, right? It doesn't mean that HD7970 is supported by this new driver?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  why amd fans waited for driver with no games?
                  Because there is more than time-killer games out there and not everyone is consumer but producer.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Yes... three closed-source components running on top of slightly tweaked copies of open source kernel driver, X driver, libdrm and multimedia drivers.
                    In the final release, will these components be separated? So the packages in the repos would only include the closed components?

I assume this amdgpu already has DAL? So HDMI/DP audio works?

Comment

hybrid driver? Does that mean AMD to allow Vulkan within OpenGL apps like Nvidia? Would help many devs I guess.

PS: What about support for multiple GPUs working simultaneously together.
                      Last edited by mike4; 19 March 2016, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X