RadeonSI Now Officially At OpenGL 4.2 Compliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Mesamatrix.net tables are not correct. r600 may be compliant with OpenGL 4.1 but some cards are still not supported (stuck at 3.3), which means the picture is far from perfect.
    To be precise, the drivers support 4.1 up to the level the hardware does - but GPUs without fp64 HW support are stuck at 3.3 until someone implements logic to emulate the missing HW functionality in shader code.

Since there do not seem to be any apps which actually *use* that fp64 extension over-riding the GL version works well:

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 <app>

Some drivers appear to advertise fp64 (in order to get the higher GL level) without actually supporting it on 32-bit-only HW, but the devs didn't feel that was a good solution.
    Last edited by bridgman; 14 April 2016, 10:32 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

To be precise, the drivers support 4.1 up to the level the hardware does - but GPUs without fp64 HW support are stuck at 3.3 until someone implements logic to emulate the missing HW functionality in shader code.

Since there do not seem to be any apps which actually *use* that fp64 extension over-riding the GL version works well:

Some drivers appear to advertise fp64 (in order to get the higher GL level) without actually supporting it on 32-bit-only HW, but the devs didn't feel that was a good solution.
      Wasn't there some variable for forcing advertising of the feature so you don't need to force entire level (which may work unpredictably on some hardware)?

Comment

MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE=GL_EXT_foo apparently

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Wasn't there some variable for forcing advertising of the feature so you don't need to force entire level (which may work unpredictably on some hardware)?
          Good point. Something like MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE=GL_ARB_gpu_shader_64 <app> should work, although I haven't tried it.
          Test signature

Comment

Personally I'm hoping Intel ends up doing a by-shader implementation which ends up being partially or fully reusable. Let's see how it goes

Comment

Nice! I got Alien:Isolation working with those two overrides myself

Comment

Hey, thanks for your answer. Though I already tried that without any luck on my 6650M (Northern Islands/Turks/Whistler Pro) with all the latests ppa enabled.
                Plus, I think this specific model is not hardware limited to 3.3.

In the meantime, I cannot play games such as DIRT showdown with radeon/r600 driver and hence I am stuck to Ubuntu 15.10 with fglrx for the time being.

P.S: I will try those 2 specific overrides on my test partition, you newer know...

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  Hey, thanks for your answer. Though I already tried that without any luck on my 6650M (Northern Islands/Turks/Whistler Pro) with all the latests ppa enabled.
                  Plus, I think this specific model is not hardware limited to 3.3.

In the meantime, I cannot play games such as DIRT showdown with radeon/r600 driver and hence I am stuck to Ubuntu 15.10 with fglrx for the time being.

P.S: I will try those 2 specific overrides on my test partition, you newer know...
                  NI should work but i don't know if your card really is NI.
                  Looking at the old AMD page it looks like it's an Terascale 2 GPU and i think that's evergreen.
                  Intense visual detail and lightning-speed frame rates with DirectX® 11 games, explosive stereoscopic 3D entertainment at home or on the road and smooth, superior  MPEG4 video quality with AMD EyeSpeed technology and AMD Radeon™ HD 6700M /HD 6600M Series Graphics.

There's some cards that doesn't have FP64 in hw and there for doesn't support OpenGL 4.1 but then the mesa overrides might work as written before in this thread.
                  Try "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410 %command%" in steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    NI should work but i don't know if your card really is NI.
                    Looking at the old AMD page it looks like it's an Terascale 2 GPU and i think that's evergreen.
                    http://web.archive.org/web/201303140...m-6600m.aspx#2
                    There's some cards that doesn't have FP64 in hw and there for doesn't support OpenGL 4.1 but then the mesa overrides might work as written before in this thread.
                    Try "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410 %command%" in steam.
                    It did the trick! I already tried this previously but not by setting it as a launch property of the game in Steam itself. Thanks guys! ;-)

I can finally move on to 16.04 on my main station! This will also free up my test partition to fiddle with Manjaro.

P.S: It may be Terascale 2 but it is Northern Islands Vancouver mobile iteration (or Turks/RV930/Whistler Pro/...) with IGP Beaver Creek 6520G. And should support OpenGL up to 4.3.
                    AMD Whistler, 600 MHz, 480 Cores, 24 TMUs, 8 ROPs, 1024 MB DDR3, 800 MHz, 128 bit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon...xxxM.29_Series
                    Last edited by Mez'; 16 April 2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Good point. Something like MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE=GL_ARB_gpu_shader_64 <app> should work, although I haven't tried it.
                      Tested locally. The right way to force it on is MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE=GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64, however, it doesn't expose higher GL levels for me. Writing here in case primarily in case it ends up ever working or being useful. If you write bad extensions, you will get a very loud non-fatal error from Mesa.

Comment

Working...
                      X