Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When can we expect FREESYNC in open source driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gather you are proposing that we put effort into building a GUI installer to handle all the myriad special cases someone might want until we finish the primary driver work (which would eliminate the need for it), but that really seems like putting effort into the wrong place.

When people ask about getting access to functionality that is not yet available my answer is always some form of "we're working on that but in the meantime you could do X or Y if you don't want to wait". So far in every single case people have gone ahead and either tried what I suggested or found a similar but different solution elsewhere on line - Auksinis is the first one to say "OK I'll wait" which is also perfectly reasonable.

What isn't reasonable is that they then got attacked for not wanting to experiment.
    Last edited by bridgman; 07 January 2017, 08:19 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      What isn't reasonable is that they then got attacked for not wanting to tinker.
      Yup, that is wrong... for example i know you can revert patch llvm 3.9 but people keep making duplicate bugs of this point release regression

Maybe developers also don't won't or don't have time to tinker same like OP here, pushing one patch is easier than reverting it or fixing it, regardless we file bugs or keep talking about malaria ... it does not matter that i know what to do, but what matter is that majority will never learn and that is reality

Sad reality which stands forever is that average poweruser Joe without 10 patches out of his pocket can't use it - that knowledge is needed even for llvm point releases as you see , in comparison to 50% of Windows 10 users on steam just after 18 months since its release . During same time AMD drivers on Linux were mostly mixed, borked or broken for most of its users Majority speaks for themselfs and you can say what you want to help them to go away .

When it comes to minority PRO works even for explioted PS4, only for duby229 and malaria it does not work
      Last edited by dungeon; 07 January 2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Yup, that is wrong... for example i know you can revert patch llvm 3.9 but people keep making duplicate bugs of this point release regression

Maybe developers also don't won't or don't have time to tinker same like OP here, pushing one patch is easier than reverting it or fixing it, regardless we file bugs or keep talking about malaria ... it does not matter that i know what to do, but what matter is that majority will never learn and that is reality

Sad reality which stands forever is that average poweruser Joe without 10 patches out of his pocket can't use it - that knowledge is needed even for llvm point releases as you see , in comparison to 50% of Windows 10 users on steam just after 18 months since its release . During same time AMD drivers on Linux were mostly mixed, borked or broken for most of its users Majority speaks for themselfs and you can say what you want to help them to go away .

When it comes to minority PRO works even for explioted PS4, only for duby229 and malaria it does not work
        Then get off Linux then. It really is that simple, You want an easy solution, that's the very easiest one. You should take it.

The problem with you is that when you can't comprehend something you start making up bullshit. It's good for you that Open source projects have open bug filing systems where you can easily find bug reports. You pulled that tactic quite a few times. -IF- catalyst had an Open bug reporting system, then I would be able to do the same in reverse, -BUT THEY DON'T-...

You try to take the very best features of Open source and try to spin it out to make it look wrong, but in fact you are wrong.

Last edited by duby229; 08 January 2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Eh my duby229 opensource promoter, i promote opensource also My distro of choice actually promote it much better than i alone can do, to me that is more than enough, what you want more to do on promotion when opensource drivers are installed by default on pretty much any major distro by default consistently and for many years? So, every one sees them right away isn't it and their quality speaks for them also.

But how something just being opensource helps anything, i even gave you example how bugzilla does not help sometimes, something is simply done or not done at time or simply not... when even stable point drivers has regressions that is laughable to me opensource project xyz can be in good or bad condition like anything else, opensource project when alone even smeels like striving into monopolistic position because of no competition - "works for me and i don't care" are two born brothers

Imagine that every peace of software is opensource in this world, people in that conditions wouldn't peak something just because it is opensource but again it go down to the - does that work or not, so from practical POV again.

Once you figure out that for majority opensource is cool to have, but is actually secondary thing where first is always practical point, then you would understand majority much better

This thread and topic is great example to you, someone bought AMD card with FreeSync and he also bought plan to buy or whatever FreeSync monitor, but actually cos of drivers princess is in another castle

And it isn't just about opensource, in another thread (that with Painter app i think) here you can see examples of blob driver, same man tried couple distros, out of three cards all of different gen just one works and even that halfly and opensource driver does not help as it has missing feature, etc...

If that happens on real majority which just happens to be Windows OS users, that company would just shut down their lights long ago
          Last edited by dungeon; 08 January 2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Eh my duby229 opensource promoter, i promote opensource also My distro of choice actually promote it much better than i alone can do, to me that is more than enough, what you want more to do on promotion when opensource drivers are installed by default on pretty much any major distro by default consistently and for many years? So, every one sees them right away isn't it and their quality speaks for them also.

But how something just being opensource helps anything, i even gave you example how bugzilla does not help sometimes, something is simply done or not done at time or simply not... when even stable point drivers has regressions that is laughable to me opensource project xyz can be in good or bad condition like anything else, opensource project when alone even smeels like striving into monopolistic position because of no competition - "works for me and i don't care" are two born brothers

Imagine that every peace of software is opensource in this world, people in that conditions wouldn't peak something just because it is opensource but again it go down to the - does that work or not, so from practical POV again.

Once you figure out that for majority opensource is cool to have, but is actually secondary thing where first is always practical point, then you would understand majority much better

This thread and topic is great example to you, someone bought AMD card with FreeSync and he also bought plan to buy or whatever FreeSync monitor, but actually cos of drivers princess is in another castle

And it isn't just about opensource, in another thread (that with Painter app i think) here you can see examples of blob driver, same man tried couple distros, out of three cards all of different gen just one works and even that halfly and opensource driver does not help as it has missing feature, etc...

If that happens on real majority which just happens to be Windows OS users, that company would just shut down their lights long ago
            Dude, Linux is better now for graphics drivers than it has ever been before. That's a fact, but it is still true that you need to research before you buy. If you don't look first then you did what you did all by yourself. Face the facts for what they are and stop making up more bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Dude, Linux is better now for graphics drivers than it has ever been before. That's a fact, but it is still true that you need to research before you buy.
              You mean like 15 years ago to research before buying something... which will be after little time be borked again? Nope, i now actually have less willing to buy anything from AMD than ever before .

Face the facts for what they are and stop making up more bullshit.
              Yeah and now i am the one who make bullshit and quilty when open bugs That really smells like AMD, where users are quilty because drivers has bugs
              Last edited by dungeon; 09 January 2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

You mean like 15 years ago to research before buying something... which will be after little time be borked again? Nope, i now actually have less willing to buy anything from AMD than ever before .

Yeah and now i am the one who make bullshit and quilty when open bugs That really smells like AMD
                Look, if you don't like it, don't use it. It really is that simple. Go back to Windows.

Comment

Look, if you don't like it, don't use it. It really is that simple. Go back to Windows.
                  Thank you for recommendation But really switching OSes is not needed here and I don't need instructions how to disable driver i don't use

Comment

Thank you for recommendation But really switching OSes is not needed here and I don't need instructions how to disable driver i don't use
                    Good for you, now ask yourself why do you waste so much time bitching about something you don't use? At least admit you waste time trolling and making up bullshit.

Comment

Good for you, now ask yourself why do you waste so much time bitching about something you don't use?
                      Who said i don't use it? I mean generally what driver you don't use you just don't use or disable.... You are talking to "get off, to go back to Windows, etc..." while i don't use Windows nearly at all so i asking myself how i can go back somewhere when i am not coming from there ... those are your words, so answer yourself from where you take that infoshit about bullshit or whatever
                      Last edited by dungeon; 09 January 2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X