Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When can we expect FREESYNC in open source driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Auksinis View Post

Thank you... Someone gets it.

Just want a driver that works, with GUI and OC capability.
    I just know that you are representative of realtm majority and no doubt that majority wants GUI. Without GUI any GPU driver won't be even released for any other major OS other then Linux

Probably we like our console so much that we forgot about reality and even what is majority
    Last edited by dungeon; 05 January 2017, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Long answer is "when we get to a DAL code base which is both acceptable upstream and largely shareable across multiple OSes".

In the short term if your distro is using a 4.7 or earlier kernel you should be able to build and install a kernel from agd5f's amd-staging-4.7 branch or install just the kernel DKMS package (and maybe libdrm) from the -pro stack and get freesync with the open stack today. We are in the process of moving the staging tree from 4.7 to 4.9 kernel now.
      bridgman give us a heads up when you are done moving the staging tree to 4.9 please, I guess it's the amd-staging-drm-next tree right?

Comment

Originally posted by gbil View Post
        bridgman give us a heads up when you are done moving the staging tree to 4.9 please, I guess it's the amd-staging-drm-next tree right?
        GKH finally released first 4.9 point after about 4 weeks so this also might happen soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

That is also fine, but that is also why Linux is something mostly developers and enthusiasists use and certain group of so called customers... i noted real "most" and "majority" in this world, whose unchangable mentality can be described in shortest way as "Next > Next > Finish" or "Click > Install > Done", etc... : Those are real most and majority of OS users and not most and majority unside particular group which by nature does not allow any user to think differently, thus practicaly just ignore real potentional of most and majority

Lets ask yourself - who are these certain group of customers of so called Bridgman's Linux, when he is sure and fair to say that "most users would prefer we not do that"... from my POV most and majorty have different meaning
          I can't possibly disagree with you any more. Look at what Linux marketshare is, really, you should do it. On Desktops it most definitely is at most less than 3 percent, but it dominates servers, hpc, embedded, media centers, phones, etc. In this case Most and Majority are far different than you think. You are wrong once again.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I can't possibly disagree with you any more. Look at what Linux marketshare is, really, you should do it. On Desktops it most definitely is at most less than 3 percent, but it dominates servers, hpc, embedded, media centers, phones, etc. In this case Most and Majority are far different than you think. You are wrong once again.
            Nope, you are wrong once again and trying to do offtopic... these people like OP are majority here, just read what he said that he wants GUI and OC. He is not representative nothing of "servers, hpc, embedded, media centers, phones, etc."

Obviously he is a gamer here as he asking about FreeSync, GUI and OC... but you can talk whatever else you want of course, like how to prevent malaria ... instead to comment stright to the matter like me

Reality is that in these couple years steam and other gaming on linux is growing or at least has potentional to grow as there are more and more games, even new AMD gaming cards boxes mentioning linux support... while features that gamers expect are missing
            Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Lets ask yourself - who are these certain group of customers of so called Bridgman's Linux, when he is sure and fair to say that "most users would prefer we not do that"...
              I understand your question was intended to be rhetorical, but other than switching wholesale to Dungeon's Linux (which presumably would have vendor-specific install GUIs ?) what would you recommend other than talking/listening with a broad range of Linux users as the best way to identify major clusters of user preferences ?

from my POV most and majorty have different meaning
              Interesting... my understanding had always been that "most" implied over 50%, or a simple majority. Or is "majorty" something different ?
              Test signature

Comment

Nope, you are wrong once again and trying to do offtopic... these people like OP are majority here, just read what he said that he wants GUI and OC. He is not representative nothing of "servers, hpc, embedded, media centers, phones, etc."

Obviously he is a gamer here as he asking about FreeSync, GUI and OC... but you can talk whatever else you want of course, like how to prevent malaria ... instead to comment stright to the matter like me

Reality is that in these couple years steam and other gaming on linux is growing or at least has potentional to grow as there are more and more games, even new AMD gaming cards boxes mentioning linux support... while features that gamers expect are missing
                Bottom line is this, if you are not capable of comprehending a simple analogy, then why should anyone believe anything you say about the topic? What that dude effectively asked for was wizard-like installers like how Windows installs things, and the fact is, that shit is fucked up dawg, fo sho. There is no argument that you are he or anyone can make that could ever possibly justify that garbage on linux. If you or he or anybody is unwilling to learn -package management- then get the fuck off linux already. PLEASE! You'd be doing everyone a favor including yourself.

EDIT: Let me ask you this one thing; Do you think Linux would be where it is today without package management? If there was no apt, no rpm, no portage, no pacman, nothing...... Would Linux on servers exist? Embedded Linux? These same dudes that say we are wrong and we have been wrong all along are themselves the ones that are wrong and were wrong all along.
                Last edited by duby229; 07 January 2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Bottom line is this.
                  Nope, bottom line anybody can learn if they reread topic again and do that carefully. it is that OP asked, bridgman answered how you should know package managment to rebuild pro module with dkms and finnaly OP replied he don't know that so thats i end of it... on that point pandemic malaria beggins

I agree with OP there, and i know what next will be if that dkms module does not work, a lot of else needs to be learned, console learning, then git learning, debuging learning, etc... And once he learned everything package maintainers and upstream developers know only then he can use linux

I am not in question here i know package managment excelent at least of distro i use... but i don't ignore neither reality neither real majority. And if majority asks me, i simply answer that "if something is not released - it does not exist". Also, i won't push people to learn what they didn't asked for.

Well, you can run linux on PlayStation 4 also, but i didn't push majority to easy comprehensive steps of doing that

On pure gaming and on steam as i see Windows 10 exceeded 50% now ... so i can say great job of Microsoft and their community... and It does not matter if i like that OS or not, my hat is off to that success Should with talk now about some another pandemic disease now or should we continue on malaria
                  Last edited by dungeon; 07 January 2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

. it is that OP asked, bridgman answered how you should know package managment to rebuild pro module with dkms and finnaly OP replied he don't know that so thats i end of it... on that point pandemic malaria beggins
                    Actually bridgman answered how you should follow the install instructions which IIRC ask you to type in a couple of commands and then package management does the rest.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Actually bridgman answered how you should follow the install instructions which IIRC ask you to type in a couple of commands and then package management does the rest.
                      Yeah, easy job done for someone who already know how it goes... fact are that mixed is unofficial way isn't it? Official are either you use what is released as released kernel if you use opensource drivers or you download driver from AMD site in case of PRO driver. So there are only two official ways, other easy possibility is to look if something is packaged by your distro... and that is end of the story for majority.

Anything else require more or less some kind of not needed learning curve and touch areas of developement either distro development or even upstream development or both, etc...

So when you suggest unofficial ways of doing things, i don't see why also unofficial installer would be problem

I dunno, do you expect that majority in Linux would mix things? If AMD do mixing with PRO that is how they decided, it is AMD job to mix things proper and release it to be used in intended way... why do you think also that majority would do that? No way, majorty wouldn't exploit PS4

But nope, you push people into possible unreleable areas... even when they didn't asked for that And normaly, very normaly. majority will say "i don't know that or i even i am not interested to do that.... just tell me when this or that would be released so i know to try it then and i would like to see GUI and OC" and that is it
                      Last edited by dungeon; 07 January 2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X