No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 5000 Series / Zen 3 Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I would buy Core i3 10100. Local computer store doesn't sell 4300G. 3200G is unavailable.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
      This was rather weak IMO. only game and cinebench comparisons, boring. Drink a shot whenever you hear "gaming processor".
      it was noted in the end that the ipc comparisons were made with a fixed clock on both 3800xt and 5800x. I'd be interested in
      a comparison to tiger lake, the 10900 is old tech.

the other interesting thing was the the big navi benchmarks: they were very close to nvidia 3080 numbers.
      There was a result that can be compared to Tiger Lake, the single-thread Cinebench, where Zen 3 is faster by 6% than the best Tiger Lake, both running at the same clock frequency of 4.8 GHz.

So the IPC of Zen 3 is better than of Tiger Lake, so that Rocket Lake (March 2021) will need to reach at least 5.3 GHz in order to match the Zen 3 of 4.9 GHz in single-thread performance.

Last edited by AdrianBc; 09 October 2020, 04:23 AM.

Comment

5800X cache figure should be 36 MB (32 MB L3 + 8 x 0.5 MB L2), not 35 MB.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post

nah the biggest improvement is the new ccx which is comprised of 8 cores and has a unified cache. this will significantly improve latencies pretty much all over the board.

In the presentations they showed in percents the contribution of each area of improvement and each of them contributed just a few percents, but being many, they summed up to 26%.

Both the floating-point and the integer units are said to be wider and the throughput for many operations is rumored to have been improved by e.g. 50%, which is necessary to achieve the advertised speed improvements when averaged over a complete program, which also has many instructions being executed at the same speed as before.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post

There was a result that can be compared to Tiger Lake, the single-thread Cinebench, where Zen 3 is faster by 6% than the best Tiger Lake, both running at the same clock frequency of 4.8 GHz.

So the IPC of Zen 3 is better than of Tiger Lake, so that Rocket Lake (March 2021) will need to reach at least 5.3 GHz in order to match the Zen 3 of 4.9 GHz in single-thread performance.

Yeah. It's worth noting that Cinebench is probably a little friendlier towards AMD than some other benchmarks, so take that 6% IPC lead with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, rocket lake is likely to have a bit lower IPC than Tiger Lake due to being backported to 14nm (likely meaning smaller caches/resources on chip), and will have to overcome that with even higher clock rates (which they will probably achieve).

However, it's not out for another 6 months, and by then it's entirely possible AMD could even have some kind of Zen 3+ refresh coming out soon after, so holding off for that possibility is pretty foolish. You either need to upgrade now, or you don't - there will always be another processor coming out in 6 months that might be better.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 09 October 2020, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              Today I would buy Core i3 10100. Local computer store doesn't sell 4300G. 3200G is unavailable.
              I wouldn't expect to find Renoir in your local computer store since we aren't selling them into retail yet. The 3200G and 3400G should be pretty widely available though.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I agree that AMD processors made very good progress, but if we want to be realistic then it is worth mentioning that there is a non-negligible probability of Intel being faster throughout the majority of year 2021 (the last 3 of 4 quarters of the year) because of Rocket Lake.
                There is a good chance for Intel to reach at least 5.3 GHz, maybe even 5.4 GHz, with Rocket Lake (even if the current engineering samples were clocked lower).

If that would happen, Intel would be again better in single-thread performance and gaming, but they would remain much slower for software compilation or any other professional applications, at least until 2022, because not even Alder Lake would be better for multi-threaded applications.

Comment

I've been burned with going the 2700 + X370 route for the PC of my father, hence no Zen 3 upgrade for him (if AMD / ASUS would provide such BIOS support that option would have been more appealing at least).

I also don't get that people are applauding AMD to become the new Intel. They have earned their place through hard work, sure, but 20% more IPC for a lot more in price is not progress in my eyes (just look at the insane 299 $ for the 5600X). And as I am not an AMD shareholder, I want simply the best bang for my buck, and there is definetly nothing exciting to see here from AMD (or Intel lately) which would make me buy their new stuff. I even sidegraded my personal system to a Xeon E5-2678V3 this summer as the platform problems with AM4 and my crappy R5 2600 sample made me mad and got for the same price better performance, cooler temperatures and a more stable platform.

Comment

There is a good chance for Intel to reach at least 5.3 GHz, maybe even 5.4 GHz, with Rocket Lake (even if the current engineering samples were clocked lower).
                    It is insane that Intel even does such a backport for a 2021 product, I very much doubt the power consumption and efficency levels will be competetive to Zen 3.

Comment

Can you please post the link to this? Most of intels benchmark "wins" are due to its really complex boosting behavior (to me it looks like they designed it around the more popular bechmarks used aroud the internet); I'd really like to see the perf of the tiger lake cpu at a fixed clock..

Comment

Working...
                      X