No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 5000 Series / Zen 3 Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else annoyed they are announcing this a month in advance of being able to buy it? It is just a prerecorded video, its not like they booked an aircraft carrier a year in advance for the launch party. They could have released the video on October 28th or even November 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
      Anyone else annoyed they are announcing this a month in advance of being able to buy it? It is just a prerecorded video, its not like they booked an aircraft carrier a year in advance for the launch party. They could have released the video on October 28th or even November 4th.
      It's basically to fend off leaks ahead of reviewer kits sent out, etc. Usually the reviewer briefings are like a month out.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        Michael typo on Ryzen 9 3950X, should be 5950X
        Let meeeee

Comment

Looks very promising, but I'll wait for the more serious reviews. If it turns out good enough and asrock decides to support the 5900X on my b450 motherboard, I'm definitely getting one to replace the 2700X that's in my current computer. It's a bit unfortunate they didn't share more architecture data, I really want to know what's been changed from zen2.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

Zen+ architecture was almost the same as 1st-gen Zen (the "widths of the cores" are the same). The main advantage of Zen 2 compared to Zen/Zen+ was that it increased the width of in-core and cache data-paths by 100%. The main advantage of Zen 3 compared to Zen 2 is (presumably) higher number of int/float units and increased number of loads/stores per clock - which by definition implies that Zen 3 can (presumably) internally sustain to move more bits per clock than Zen 2 in its cores&caches.
            nah the biggest improvement is the new ccx which is comprised of 8 cores and has a unified cache. this will significantly improve latencies pretty much all over the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
              nah the biggest improvement is the new ccx which is comprised of 8 cores and has a unified cache. this will significantly improve latencies pretty much all over the board.
              I agree that it is possible that the biggest boost might come from the now unified L3 cache, although I would be disappointed if it is true because it would mean that Zen 3 will have lower IPC than SunnyCove-derived Intel desktop CPUs to be released (presumably) in year 2021. I would need to see the Zen 3 architecture diagram in order to decide whether to buy Zen 3 in year 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Yeah, felt more like a Zen 2+ really. Though it makes sense they focused on single threaded performance this generation, they can finally take the last crown back.
                Yeah, a 20% IPC increase feels like a Zen2+, sure, that makes sense given that Zen1+ was a less than < 5% improvement over Zen1, and Zen1+ -> Zen2 was 15%. Utterly ridiculous.

Comment

So. Let us recap.
                  Intel has been ***rape:ing the entire industry for decades with their gouging price-models.
                  And when a competitor that _actually_ is doing an amazing job of kicking their asses... you decide to complain?

Hell no. I'll happily pay a $50 AMD tax over getting that perpetual ***rape from Intel.
                  Balance. Karma. Call it whatever you want.

Comment

Comment

Is "zero bubble" branch prediction just a performance thing or will it affect speculative execution vulnerabilities?

Comment

Working...
                      X