• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Michael typo on Ryzen 9 3950X, should be 5950X
    Let meeeee

Comment

Looks very promising, but I'll wait for the more serious reviews. If it turns out good enough and asrock decides to support the 5900X on my b450 motherboard, I'm definitely getting one to replace the 2700X that's in my current computer. It's a bit unfortunate they didn't share more architecture data, I really want to know what's been changed from zen2.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Zen+ architecture was almost the same as 1st-gen Zen (the "widths of the cores" are the same). The main advantage of Zen 2 compared to Zen/Zen+ was that it increased the width of in-core and cache data-paths by 100%. The main advantage of Zen 3 compared to Zen 2 is (presumably) higher number of int/float units and increased number of loads/stores per clock - which by definition implies that Zen 3 can (presumably) internally sustain to move more bits per clock than Zen 2 in its cores&caches.
        nah the biggest improvement is the new ccx which is comprised of 8 cores and has a unified cache. this will significantly improve latencies pretty much all over the board.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Yeah, felt more like a Zen 2+ really. Though it makes sense they focused on single threaded performance this generation, they can finally take the last crown back.
          Yeah, a 20% IPC increase feels like a Zen2+, sure, that makes sense given that Zen1+ was a less than < 5% improvement over Zen1, and Zen1+ -> Zen2 was 15%. Utterly ridiculous.

Comment

So. Let us recap.
            Intel has been ***rape:ing the entire industry for decades with their gouging price-models.
            And when a competitor that _actually_ is doing an amazing job of kicking their asses... you decide to complain?

Hell no. I'll happily pay a $50 AMD tax over getting that perpetual ***rape from Intel.
            Balance. Karma. Call it whatever you want.

Comment

Comment

Is "zero bubble" branch prediction just a performance thing or will it affect speculative execution vulnerabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                  Nothing about the next, or current, APU. I guess I won't regret my "Raven Ridge Forever" tattoo.
                  That's what I'm wanting to hear about, hopefully in an AM5 socket. As much as I'd love a 5600X in an APU form, I thought about it and it makes no sense for me to upgrade from what I have until AMD's next socket is released. I just want a decent performing desktop APU so I can run a light desktop using two CPU threads and the APU's GPU and run VMs with my GPU and the remaining CPU threads.

From a power user and gamer perspective, a decent performing desktop CPU with a built-in GPU is the one thing that makes Intel a better choice for a high end desktop processor. While APU's aren't the greatest for gaming, they're great if you want to use 3d accelerated VMs on the secondary GPU. With high end AMD solutions we require two GPUs to do that which sucks if we're trying to keep the power and/or heat down.
                  Last edited by skeevy420; 08 October 2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

the other interesting thing was the the big navi numbers: they were very close to nvidia 3080 numbers.
                    For convenience, here are the numbers:
                    During AMD's Ryzen 5000 launch even, the company provided a performance preview of its upcoming Radeon RX 6000 graphics cards, and they look ready to go toe-to-toe with Nvidia's beastly RTX 3080.

I'm curious to see how the relative ray tracing performance will go...

There are rumors that the top Big Navi card will be 250 watt (the 3080 has a 320 watt TDP)... Even if the performance is a little behind, with that reduction in TDP, that would be really impressive. But these are just rumors, so naturally take with a grain of salt until there's something more concrete.

Hopefully in a few months I'll finally be able to switch my desktop from Intel to AMD!

Comment

Uhm... I REALLY wonder what the hell people are complaining about?

There's no reason to believe that AMD is lying or misrepresenting performance. Zen 3 looks like a compelling package. Massive IPC improvements, slightly higher clocks, better power efficiency. I guess it would have been cool to see 5 Ghz, but eh...

Now that AMD is actually leading in pretty much all areas, it's not surprising that they are increasing the prices slightly. However this is still inexpensive compared to Intel of 5 years ago! So what are you complaining about?

The only thing that is disappointing (for the moment) is the lack of a 65W 8-core CPU. I guess we'll see it next year.

Comment

Working...
                      X