AMD Ryzen 5000 Series / Zen 3 Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bosjc View Post

Yeah, a 20% IPC increase feels like a Zen2+, sure, that makes sense given that Zen1+ was a less than < 5% improvement over Zen1, and Zen1+ -> Zen2 was 15%. Utterly ridiculous.
    Yeah, there is some choice whining in here.

Zen 2 will be the budget option, maybe seeing some slight price drops, and for anyone satisfied with their current performance, wait for Zen 4 on the AM5 socket.

Zen 3 will go down in price by March 2021 when Intel releases Rocket Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I agree that it is possible that the biggest boost might come from the now unified L3 cache, although I would be disappointed if it is true because it would mean that Zen 3 will have lower IPC than SunnyCove-derived Intel desktop CPUs to be released (presumably) in year 2021. I would need to see the Zen 3 architecture diagram in order to decide whether to buy Zen 3 in year 2020.
      There was one slide during the presentation which showed from where the speed-ups came. Some items, I think, also affect single-core performance. I definitely expect zen 3 to have much better single-core performance than zen2. Still, I really want to see an in-depth analysis of zen 3 and a large variety of benchmarks.

Comment

For those of us into throughput, I'm concerned about memory bandwidth...

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
          So. Let us recap.
          Intel has been ***rape:ing the entire industry for decades with their gouging price-models.
          And when a competitor that _actually_ is doing an amazing job of kicking their asses... you decide to complain?

Hell no. I'll happily pay a $50 AMD tax over getting that perpetual ***rape from Intel.
          Balance. Karma. Call it whatever you want.
          How much would an i9-10900 cost if AMD wasn't around? Yep, that $50 is nothing.

Comment

I would certainly like to buy some Ryzen 5000 to upgrade some of my computers - if only there was a GPU with stable open source drivers to use along with it. Unluckily, Intel GPUs are currently the only ones on the market satisfying both my requirements of being stable and open source.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              Highly skeptical of the 19% IPC and beating intel on single thread claims. The price increases are a huge slap in the face. They’re not even close to being a market leader yet and they’re wanting to gouge. Will probably still get a 5950X, hah.
              Fifty bucks more for a faster processor is a "gouge" in your worldview? Wut? Memories must be short around here. It was only a few years ago that intel was charging $1000+ for a 4 core i7 full of security flaws. And here we are in late 2020 and Intel is still stuck on 14 nm. Dunno about you, but I will gladly pay +50 for what Ryzen 5000 series offers compared to the competition.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 08 October 2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                So it's a $50 uplift across the board compared to Zen 2 launch price which is disappointing, I was hoping for flat pricing.
                Because you paid for the R&D? I thought not.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                  So. Let us recap.
                  Intel has been ***rape:ing the entire industry for decades with their gouging price-models.
                  And when a competitor that _actually_ is doing an amazing job of kicking their asses... you decide to complain?

Hell no. I'll happily pay a $50 AMD tax over getting that perpetual ***rape from Intel.
                  Balance. Karma. Call it whatever you want.
                  People drink more than $50 on their bar tab, in a single night. Either everyone here is completely broke or lead very sad lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

People drink more than $50 on their bar tab, in a single night. Either everyone here is completely broke or lead very sad lives.
                    Thank you for applying for the position of purchasing manager, don't call us, we'll call you.

Comment

Wow, this is just amazing.

In less than 5 years AMD has taken us from the stagnant hegemony, and financial rape, of Intel to fantastically powerful 6C/12T CPUs for $299, 8C/16T for $449, and 16C/32T for $799.

All within 65W to 105W TDP.

I mean really, on second thought amazing doesn't cut it. It's stunning.

And anyone who has a complaint or doesn't like it is free to continue kowtowing to Intel.

I just bought an R7 3700X, and it's already more powerful than I need. But I'm getting an R7 5800X as soon as I can just to reward AMD for their fantastic work.

Comment

Working...
                      X