Ruby 3.0 Released With ~3x The Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

But it's from an evil company so if you look further down the road you can see two guys holding the end of the red carpet you are walking on about to pull it out.
    There's plenty of scripting languages to use besides powerSmells.

- Linux living without the pimps.
    They open-sourced the parts that run on Linux. I'd be more worried about the fact that PowerShell is ugly and annoying to write compared to the alternatives. (Does skill with Win32 APIs and other descendants of the Win16 API poison the mind's ability to design nice APIs or something?)

Basically, it's for Windows sysadmins who are already using it and are asked by their bosses to add some Linux nodes to the mix.

Comment

My experience with Ruby has been that I've been tasked with maintenance on a outdated Ruby on Rails codebase, and I'm not really digging anything about the language itself or it's frameworks so far.

The fact that it's slow and consumes a lot of resources when deploying and the alien syntax that makes reading everything slower don't really help.

Also there seem to be a lack of good tools for it, so a lot of mistakes both basic and complex don't really get caught unless you do extensive testing. Some parts of the code will even silently fail.

It's been a pain to even get it to run, when you have to mess with rbenv to get the right version (and then other shit doesn't work right) or deploy a whole docker image.

I honestly feel like I had way less issues with being productive in Python or C. All the other outdated codebases this company has have been way less of a pain to deal with.

Comment

Working...
      X