Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeder
    replied
    My experience with Ruby has been that I've been tasked with maintenance on a outdated Ruby on Rails codebase, and I'm not really digging anything about the language itself or it's frameworks so far.

The fact that it's slow and consumes a lot of resources when deploying and the alien syntax that makes reading everything slower don't really help.

Also there seem to be a lack of good tools for it, so a lot of mistakes both basic and complex don't really get caught unless you do extensive testing. Some parts of the code will even silently fail.

It's been a pain to even get it to run, when you have to mess with rbenv to get the right version (and then other shit doesn't work right) or deploy a whole docker image.

I honestly feel like I had way less issues with being productive in Python or C. All the other outdated codebases this company has have been way less of a pain to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

But it's from an evil company so if you look further down the road you can see two guys holding the end of the red carpet you are walking on about to pull it out.
    There's plenty of scripting languages to use besides powerSmells.

- Linux living without the pimps.
    They open-sourced the parts that run on Linux. I'd be more worried about the fact that PowerShell is ugly and annoying to write compared to the alternatives. (Does skill with Win32 APIs and other descendants of the Win16 API poison the mind's ability to design nice APIs or something?)

Basically, it's for Windows sysadmins who are already using it and are asked by their bosses to add some Linux nodes to the mix.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I don't have much hands on experience with Ruby, but I read a book about it, but it never struck a cord with me.

No, PowerShell is not only for Windows, it is cross-platform. It is available for Linux.
    But it's from an evil company so if you look further down the road you can see two guys holding the end of the red carpet you are walking on about to pull it out.
    There's plenty of scripting languages to use besides powerSmells.

- Linux living without the pimps.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post

You should really stop using all those other languages and learn Ruby. It's an absolutely fabulous language. I used tons of other languages over the years, but Ruby is by far the most fun language I have ever used.

I'm sure PowerShell is cool for all those tormented souls that have to use Windows.
    I don't have much hands on experience with Ruby, but I read a book about it, but it never struck a cord with me.

No, PowerShell is not only for Windows, it is cross-platform. It is available for Linux.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by flower View Post
    Tbh, 3x times better performance sounds very much like its performance sucked very hard.
    It did, Ruby was the slowest mainstream scripting language and it had terrible performance across the board.

Leave a comment:

• ZeroPointEnergy
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    It depends on personal taste. When I started poking at it years ago, I found I preferred Python's design philosophy more.
    It's absolutely about taste. I know a lot of people who find Python fits more for them and a lot who rather use Ruby.

I really like how in Ruby really everything is an object and how you can do some miraculous meta programming magic. This is part of why Rails is so special and why this can't just be rebuilt in another language easily. A lot of the magic that makes Rails Rails comes from Ruby itself.

Also one of the probably most underrated things about Ruby is the very rich Hash, Array and String classes. They alone cover so much that you can often just use that object to do directly whatever the task at hand is instead of having to build a class around it first. Not sure if that was clear, bit hard to explain.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    It's an absolutely fabulous language. I used tons of other languages over the years, but Ruby is by far the most fun language I have ever used.
    It depends on personal taste. When I started poking at it years ago, I found I preferred Python's design philosophy more.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
    I really don't understand the hatred toward Ruby. Bundler is one of the best dependency management tools I've used in any language. The backwards compatibility in minor versions is by just lovely.

Most arguments against Ruby there are just "nobody uses it" or "it's slow" and there's poor evidence for both claims. These are all big Ruby shops:

Airbnb
    Basecamp
    Bloomberg
    Flatiron School
    GitHub
    GitLab
    Kickstarter
    Shipify
    SoundCloud
    Twitch
    Twitter
    I don't think it's hatred. It's just that if you look at job listings by language, Ruby doesn't crack many tops. And while there's no shortage of general-purpose, interpreted languages, Ruby just doesn't have anything to make it stand out. (No, dependency management tools are not why you pick one language over another.)
    I also have a feeling it gets most love in the US, whereas the rest of the world tends to look elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• ZeroPointEnergy
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Well, you're probably one of those guys who only knows Ruby and don't know any other language, so for you its your baby, and you're a fanboy, so for you it's the best thing out there. Broaden your horizon, there are other languages out there.

If you're into devops you might want to take a look at PowerShell, but I don't know if it is any good.
    You should really stop using all those other languages and learn Ruby. It's an absolutely fabulous language. I used tons of other languages over the years, but Ruby is by far the most fun language I have ever used.

I'm sure PowerShell is cool for all those tormented souls that have to use Windows.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

No thanks. I will stick to Ruby, as coding with it makes me smile. It's a bit like listening to music because you like it and not because it's the most popular one.

I'm also not a rails developer. Ruby also has it's devops community as it us used in a lot of those tools (Puppet, Facter, Foreman, etc)
    Well, you're probably one of those guys who only knows Ruby and don't know any other language, so for you its your baby, and you're a fanboy, so for you it's the best thing out there. Broaden your horizon, there are other languages out there.

If you're into devops you might want to take a look at PowerShell, but I don't know if it is any good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X