Ruby 3.0 Released With ~3x The Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Woah, marketing much? I'm sorry, I'm sure you mean well, but this paragraph reads like it was written by someone from a marketing department...
    No, I have no affiliation with the Python project other than I know that language, but to be honest, I don't even code that much Python, only a little, I code more in other languages such as C# and Rust, but also JavaScript, TypeScript, Kotlin, etc.

Some parts of Python I don't even like, like its rather cumbersome to have to declare self as the first parameter of every method, and when not having touched Python code for a long time, I often get confused about whether a field is a instance field or a static class field because the syntax is not all too clear about that.

But yeah, I am just being honest, Ruby only got popular due to Ruby on Rails, it is losing traction, it not gaining any new influx of users, and Python is hugely popular and taught all over the world at universities to people from different academic backgrounds.

Python isn't even my favorite language, I code in so many other languages.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      consider moving on to Python, a hugely popular language, perhaps the world's most popular languages
      No thanks. I will stick to Ruby, as coding with it makes me smile. It's a bit like listening to music because you like it and not because it's the most popular one.

I'm also not a rails developer. Ruby also has it's devops community as it us used in a lot of those tools (Puppet, Facter, Foreman, etc)
      Last edited by ZeroPointEnergy; 27 December 2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post

No thanks. I will stick to Ruby, as coding with it makes me smile. It's a bit like listening to music because you like it and not because it's the most popular one.

I'm also not a rails developer. Ruby also has it's devops community as it us used in a lot of those tools (Puppet, Facter, Foreman, etc)
        Well, you're probably one of those guys who only knows Ruby and don't know any other language, so for you its your baby, and you're a fanboy, so for you it's the best thing out there. Broaden your horizon, there are other languages out there.

If you're into devops you might want to take a look at PowerShell, but I don't know if it is any good.

Comment

Well, you're probably one of those guys who only knows Ruby and don't know any other language, so for you its your baby, and you're a fanboy, so for you it's the best thing out there. Broaden your horizon, there are other languages out there.

If you're into devops you might want to take a look at PowerShell, but I don't know if it is any good.
          You should really stop using all those other languages and learn Ruby. It's an absolutely fabulous language. I used tons of other languages over the years, but Ruby is by far the most fun language I have ever used.

I'm sure PowerShell is cool for all those tormented souls that have to use Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
            I really don't understand the hatred toward Ruby. Bundler is one of the best dependency management tools I've used in any language. The backwards compatibility in minor versions is by just lovely.

Most arguments against Ruby there are just "nobody uses it" or "it's slow" and there's poor evidence for both claims. These are all big Ruby shops:

Airbnb
            Basecamp
            Bloomberg
            Flatiron School
            GitHub
            GitLab
            Kickstarter
            Shipify
            SoundCloud
            Twitch
            Twitter
            I don't think it's hatred. It's just that if you look at job listings by language, Ruby doesn't crack many tops. And while there's no shortage of general-purpose, interpreted languages, Ruby just doesn't have anything to make it stand out. (No, dependency management tools are not why you pick one language over another.)
            I also have a feeling it gets most love in the US, whereas the rest of the world tends to look elsewhere.

Comment

It's an absolutely fabulous language. I used tons of other languages over the years, but Ruby is by far the most fun language I have ever used.
              It depends on personal taste. When I started poking at it years ago, I found I preferred Python's design philosophy more.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                It depends on personal taste. When I started poking at it years ago, I found I preferred Python's design philosophy more.
                It's absolutely about taste. I know a lot of people who find Python fits more for them and a lot who rather use Ruby.

I really like how in Ruby really everything is an object and how you can do some miraculous meta programming magic. This is part of why Rails is so special and why this can't just be rebuilt in another language easily. A lot of the magic that makes Rails Rails comes from Ruby itself.

Also one of the probably most underrated things about Ruby is the very rich Hash, Array and String classes. They alone cover so much that you can often just use that object to do directly whatever the task at hand is instead of having to build a class around it first. Not sure if that was clear, bit hard to explain.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                  Tbh, 3x times better performance sounds very much like its performance sucked very hard.
                  It did, Ruby was the slowest mainstream scripting language and it had terrible performance across the board.

Comment

You should really stop using all those other languages and learn Ruby. It's an absolutely fabulous language. I used tons of other languages over the years, but Ruby is by far the most fun language I have ever used.

I'm sure PowerShell is cool for all those tormented souls that have to use Windows.
                    I don't have much hands on experience with Ruby, but I read a book about it, but it never struck a cord with me.

No, PowerShell is not only for Windows, it is cross-platform. It is available for Linux.

Comment

I don't have much hands on experience with Ruby, but I read a book about it, but it never struck a cord with me.

No, PowerShell is not only for Windows, it is cross-platform. It is available for Linux.
                      But it's from an evil company so if you look further down the road you can see two guys holding the end of the red carpet you are walking on about to pull it out.
                      There's plenty of scripting languages to use besides powerSmells.

- Linux living without the pimps.

Comment

Working...
                      X