Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUXEDO Developing A Snapdragon X Elite Linux Laptop

Phoronix: TUXEDO Developing A Snapdragon X Elite Linux Laptop

Bavarian Linux PC vendor TUXEDO Computers is working on bringing a Snapdragon X Elite powered laptop to market...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well then... looks like Qualcomm is keeping their promise.
    I wonder if they'll ship it with freedreno/turnip or some vendor binary driver.

EDIT:
    It seems they're aiming for mesa's freedreno/turnip:

And according to Tuxedo the X1 Elite should outperform Apple's M2 in terms of performance per watt.

So if they manage to land everything in 6.10/6.11.. then next year should be the year for Linux on ARM with both Qualcomm and Apple's GPU support being fully functional in mesa
    Last edited by MastaG; 10 June 2024, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I hope Microsoft uses their clout to sort out the ARM boot and hardware initialisation standardisation shit show.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        I hope Microsoft uses their clout to sort out the ARM boot and hardware initialisation standardisation shit show.
        It's really not that much of a shitshow. Things that look like computers - namely Win/ARM laptops and ARM servers - pretty much universally use ACPI and EFI. (Obviously Apple has their own stuff going on, but they always had sort of a funky-chicken EFI implementation even on x86.)

The "problems" with ARM boot standardization arise when people buy SBCs with embedded chips and are shocked when they act like embedded chips - ie, using U-boot and expecting to discover devices via a board-specific devicetree.

Comment

Mobile devices were never x86's strength. Now I see more'n'more of servers going with ARM (e.g.: using the cheaper+faster Graviton on AWS) -- it is so easy to test if you workload works on ARM in the cloud! And now the laptop market: first Apple Silicon (M series) and now Snapdragons.

It seems the x86 era is finally showing it's horizon.

Comment

Nice! But I want to see 64Gb RAM

Comment

Too late Linux support, IMHO. Also, I suspect I/O Bandwidth and expansion will be awful.

Comment

I'd really like to see a mini-itx board with ram slots using one of these new chips.

Comment

Is anyone planning snapdragon laptop with 15,6-inch (or more) display?

Comment

Originally posted by rafanelli View Post
                    Mobile devices were never x86's strength. Now I see more'n'more of servers going with ARM (e.g.: using the cheaper+faster Graviton on AWS) -- it is so easy to test if you workload works on ARM in the cloud! And now the laptop market: first Apple Silicon (M series) and now Snapdragons.

It seems the x86 era is finally showing it's horizon.
                    Yes, finally this bloated over complicated obsolete closed crap can get the retirement it deserves.

Finally a world where innovation is not locked because of an evil duopole!

Comment

Working...
                    X