TUXEDO Developing A Snapdragon X Elite Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

ARM is closed too. Also, lack of standardization.

Only RISC-V is open, modern and innovative.
    Arm is closed but more than two companies can use it at least.

I also hope risc-v will take over arm but one battle at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

The RAM sits on the CPU package, so that's not going to happen.
      Then I'll settle for some PCIE slots and video ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post

The "problems" with ARM boot standardization arise when people buy SBCs with embedded chips and are shocked when they act like embedded chips - ie, using U-boot and expecting to discover devices via a board-specific devicetree.
        That is more a issue of bad defaults. Uboot is totally up to the task of consumer firmware. It supports standard video output methodes, keyboard input as well as menus. It supports to boot standard EFI targets. Plug in a USB stick with generic arm debian and just boot the installer like on any other system. I have such a system and its very nice to use.

And the device tree is provided by the firmware, so it acts as ACPI just without being shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Then I'll settle for some PCIE slots and video ports.
          that's not happening. the extreme ewaste production disease is spreading to desktop, say goodbye to modularity and say hello to heavy manufacturer lockdown and hardcoded lifespan, it will be a miracle if their 50 gorrillions transistors chips last more than 3 years...
          tech illiteracy and people not realizing what is taken from them will be the cause of our doom, sacrifying freedom and user/environment-friendliness for a bit of conveniency and a few worthless bigger numbers will be the cause of our doom...

Comment

Soldered RAM is a no-go, how about USB-C docking capabilities?

Edit: I've just seen the internal picture https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/stor...24-06-05_1.png, 2 fans are typically only needed for dGPU or super high TDP CPUs. Doesn't make me confident this will be efficient.
            Last edited by Anux; 11 June 2024, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Good to see development starting on a Linux-focused high performance ARM64 laptop.

I'm also hoping that Framework will soon announce an ARM64-based board option for their modular laptops as well.

Comment

You know what.. I might get this just because it sounds kinda interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                  I'd really like to see a mini-itx board with ram slots using one of these new chips.
                  Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  Soldered RAM is a no-go,
                  I don't think any SnapDragon X Elite products have been announced with upgradeable RAM. Also no RAM slots because no DDR5 support. However, LPCAMM2 LGA sockets might be possible.

If you just want to escape x86 and have upgradeable RAM, fortunately the RISC-V side has you covered

Source: Milk-V
                  Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                  The RAM sits on the CPU package, so that's not going to happen.
                  Does it? At least some pictures float around where the RAM is off-package.

Source: HardwareLuxx

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post

I don't think any SnapDragon X Elite products have been announced with upgradeable RAM. Also no RAM slots because no DDR5 support. However, LPCAMM2 LGA sockets might be possible.
                    good luck convincing the "arrow must go up" crowd with that when the average joe is living in a simulation inside some walled-garden
                    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    If you just want to escape x86 and have upgradeable RAM, fortunately the RISC-V side has you covered

socketable cpu are also important, motherboards usually fail much sooner than a cpu

Comment

Originally posted by dcdev View Post
                      Nice! But I want to see 64Gb RAM
                      Yes that and I'm wondering about the refresh rate of the screen. I'm hoping it's 144Hz or more.

Comment

Working...
                      X