TUXEDO Developing A Snapdragon X Elite Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Yes, finally this bloated over complicated obsolete closed crap can get the retirement it deserves.

Finally a world where innovation is not locked because of an evil duopole!
    ARM is closed too. Also, lack of standardization.

Only RISC-V is open, modern and innovative.

Comment

I'm super pumped about this. Having a 3rd competitor in the mix can only do good things for us consumers. My big open question is on x86 translation and how compatible that is going to be with games. But I always assumed we'd see a Qualcomm / NUVIA laptop that's fully functioning out-of-the-box with Linux before the same was true for any Apple Silicon macs. The team working on Asahi are doing great work, but the first M1 macs are > 3.5 years old at this point. If Apple really wanted to, those machines could have had 100% Linux support in less than a year after release, but there's obviously not much incentive to do so (really a disincentive since that breaks the walled garden revenue stream for App Store / Apple Music / iCloud / etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Too late Linux support, IMHO. Also, I suspect I/O Bandwidth and expansion will be awful.
        Earlier support is always better, but if I could install from a vanilla Tumbleweed ISO before the end of the year with 6.11, that sounds pretty positive to me given how (relatively) small the market is. RAM would be on package with theses initial machines, but there's no reason they can't transition to LPCAMM and keep the fast speeds / lower power draw but enable user replacement / upgrades. Sadly soldered RAM is hardly new on the x86 side, with more and more laptops going that way every year (even the business class ones). So in that sense this will likely be pretty comparable. You can swap the M.2 SSD and that's it .
        Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 10 June 2024, 03:59 PM.

Comment

x86 has five vertices in the hexagon of performance, scalability, compatibility, maintainability, price/performance, and efficiency. Apple has at least supreme performance and efficiency. Qualcomm's clown product has only a slight efficiency advantage. Anyone who knows what they've done in the past would never consider Qualcomm products (except for networking products)

Comment

When I last looked at booting Linux on Snapdragon SQ2, the people working on getting Linux working for it were actually using Device-Tree instead of ACPI. Something about the ACPI not really being standardized ACPI, but more like a table full of Windows-specific binaries. I don't have a citation handy, though.

I hope Snapdragon X Elite actually uses standardized ACPI instead!

Comment

Also, I REALLY hope the upstreaming efforts from Qualcomm / NUVIA result in better kernel drivers (and if anything userspace side needs tweaking) for their 5G cellular modems. This has historically been a weak spot on Linux. Usually the cellular options you get are absolutely ancient designs with embarrassingly shit frequency band support and speeds. Like some ridiculously priced Quectel modem that only works on 1 old band your cellular provider uses and your $500 cell phone is ~50x faster in the same location .

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                I'd really like to see a mini-itx board with ram slots using one of these new chips.
                The RAM sits on the CPU package, so that's not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Yes, finally this bloated over complicated obsolete closed crap can get the retirement it deserves.

Finally a world where innovation is not locked because of an evil duopole!
                  When it comes to overlords, intel was extremely generous. It sponsored open computing and even supported projects like Mesa when it was by the weakest major beneficiary of the project.

Their whole 01 and opensource design ethos is something that doesnt exist in the other hardware vendors, whether AMD, Arm, Qualcomm, nvidia or others.

There is and was plenty wrong with intel, but we should be able to appreciate how they benefitted us too.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                    Also, I REALLY hope the upstreaming efforts from Qualcomm / NUVIA result in better kernel drivers (and if anything userspace side needs tweaking) for their 5G cellular modems. This has historically been a weak spot on Linux. Usually the cellular options you get are absolutely ancient designs with embarrassingly shit frequency band support and speeds. Like some ridiculously priced Quectel modem that only works on 1 old band your cellular provider uses and your $500 cell phone is ~50x faster in the same location .
                    Oh, I agree it sucks. Maybe some company will make 5G FOSS and Open Hardware modems and GPS etc?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

ARM is closed too. Also, lack of standardization.

Only RISC-V is open, modern and innovative.
                      ...and as fragmented as ARM...

this will be ewaste in 3y unless these ARM and yes I will say RISCV ecosystems get their shit together and get something standard like EFI, AND even beyond that there are all of the various proprietary IP blocks... MAYBE UEFI would offer then something like x86 where they could dump firmware blobs, but I don't see it happening, as NONE of the vendors give a rat's ass! They want a sale today, and oh well, it doesn't work in 3y here's the newest iteration... (OK I exaggerate SLIGHTLY, but you should get the general idea...)

Comment

Working...
                      X